Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
eKoh

Keep room with low humidity percentage for Nylon

Hello UM community!

I am experimenting with nylon and I am having troubles with the humidity that it absorbs.

In my job, we have a closed room with 18 3d printers (UM2+, UM3 Ext) that is around 4mx2mx2.5m. With closed enclosures for each 2 printers.

What I want to do is to find a way to keep the room with low humidity percentage. I read that people has experienced that around 25% humidity is fairly good, my current humidity must be around 50%.

I am researching for a dehumidifier that decreases the humidity of my 3d printing room lower than 30%, because we are printing all the time, and we cannot always remove and dry the filaments all the time.

I found this option so far: https://www.amazon.com/hOmeLabs-Dehumidifier-Dehumidifiers-Basements-Allergens/dp/B073VBWKJZ/ref=zg_bs_267557011_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=DZ718KNCJ707QVGCHMAZ&th=1

It goes as low as 35%, so I am asking you guys

what would be a better option?

20 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Have you looked a the Polybox or printdry systems or the do it yourself varieties of dry boxes?

Currently I am trying to bake a Nylon filament with 180ªF for 7 hours. The problem is how to keep it dry outside the oven or the drier.

Quite interesting options! I've seen the first 2, but the last one it's very practical, I am going to try the last one. To see how it works!

@rebekah_harper also did a do it yourself drying system. The advantage to using a dehydrator like that is to rejuvenate the materials. No matter how good the drybox solution, humidity will still get in, so it needs to be baked in a controlled environment. I would not trust a standard oven to have that level of control.

Bex's solution was quite nice. :)

• Thanks 1