Fusion360 Novice - Splicing Wonky

Posted · Fusion360 Novice - Splicing Wonky

I have been enjoying creating with Fusion360 both at home and work (I'm an old AutoCAD guy) and converting my models to STLs is easy enough, but when I import into CURA, somewhere in the mix, the translation is faulty. Shows up fine in Cura, just like I designed it. But during print, the printer becomes insanely slow (same settings as any other print I do). It's almost like it is drawing tiny triangles where it should be long smooth outside lines. Any clue as to why it would do that?

Posted (edited) · Fusion360 Novice - Splicing Wonky

What printer are you using?  What version of Cura?  Can you post the STL file and perhaps the part STEP file.  I can bring the STEP file into SolidWorks.  I'll be happy to take a look at it.

BTW, the STL file is a representation of the curved surfaces of your part made up of triangles.

Edited by XYZDesignPro
    STL note.

I'm using -

Machine: Anet A8 - Marlin 1.1.8 - with E3DV6 Clone 

Cura: 3.4.1

Update: I've been struggling with 1st layer... WILL NOT stick... Bed is level, Paper thin on 9 points, using AquaNet hairspray(2 coats) on glass surface... Check the Gcode settings... maybe I am doing something horribly wrong?

Thank you so much BTW!!!

proto.stl

PI3_proto.gcode

Just now, XYZDesignPro said:

I assume you meant Cura 3.2.1 not 3.4.1?

If it doesn't violate any NDA you have in place, can you post a STEP or IGES file of the part, so we can bring it into SW as a solid?

Yes, my apologies. And sure! I have no problems with that.

This "IS" a .step file... Just change the .obj to .step after download. Sorry I don't have rights to upload that file extension yet...

proto.obj

It appears that in some areas of the part your wall thickness may be too thin to print.  By default Cura uses a 0.4 Nozzle.  As you can see there are missing walls, outlined in blue, where the part is not going to print.  I flipped the part over for easier viewing.  I believe these walls would have to be at least 0.8mm thick to print with the default wall thickness settings in Cura.

Proto_STL.thumb.JPG.a722b22906a37eb54150478622070e80.JPGProto_STL-2.thumb.JPG.cfb11b10cfc415312c7fc4ef3de89638.JPG

This is your STL file in Cura using the default settings for 0.015 Layer.  In the view on the left I have turned off the Show Helpers and Show Travels, so that you can see the part more clearly.  Not sure this is going to help much . . .

About the bed adhesion, I do not know anything about your machine.  What material are you trying to print with?  What is the bed temp?

33 minutes ago, Mic_Vox said:

Yes, my apologies. And sure! I have no problems with that.

This "IS" a .step file... Just change the .obj to .step after download. Sorry I don't have rights to upload that file extension yet...

proto.obj

After renaming this file to proto.step it imports into SW empty, with no mass.  Apparently just changing the file extension doesn't fool the Forum server! :'D

The STL file definitely has some problems:

Proto_STL_SW_Import_Error.JPG.6a22f17859d0f56a7ca17dd7f22cb5d9.JPG

As you can see . . .

Proto_STL-3.JPG.f8262e85340d363d4d6854fabeb04364.JPG

I do not know anything about Fusion 360, so can't help you there.

You've done an awesome job this far. WOW thank you! I didn't notice that! Yeah this is just a shell so I can measure clearances. I've been using PLA but thinking of going with ABS... When I say Novice... I speak of like a couple weeks novice :O lol 

37 minutes ago, XYZDesignPro said:

About the bed adhesion, I do not know anything about your machine.  What material are you trying to print with?  What is the bed temp?

I'm strongly considering making the jump to the Prusa MK2 Multi-material... just going to have to wait for financing lol

I can export as an .OBJ in fusion, let me try that

proto.obj

Posted (edited) · Fusion360 Novice - Splicing Wonky

The obj file comes into SW as a surface.  SolidWorks was unable to resolve the faulty faces (351) or the Gaps, (72 total in 8 locations).  Hate to say it, but I'm afraid that Fusion 360 is not doing a very good job of creating the STL or OBJ file for Cura, or probably any slicer for that matter, to use.

Pretty much a mess:

5ad8e448b9bbc_Faulty_FacesandGaps-2.thumb.JPG.55247ceac767cb79842dcec822743cdf.JPG5ad8e43acefd9_Faulty_FacesandGaps.thumb.JPG.55441131a89a680cfc8d8da54109834b.JPG

Since you're on the Ultimaker Forum, I have to ask, have you considered an Ultimaker 3 for your dual extrusion up grade path?

Layer346 Settings.JPG

Edited by XYZDesignPro

Finacial constraints is always a concern, Since I am doing this as a hobby, I have to consult the accountant (Wife). I do know and applaud the quality and craftsmanship of the Ultimaker, It was on I was looking at and drool over :p but price again was a bit out of my range.

3 minutes ago, XYZDesignPro said:

Since you're on the Ultimaker Forum, I have to ask, have you considered an Ultimaker 3 for your dual extrusion up grade path?

I think may also have to do with my drawing and it honestly not being very good... I am going to recreate it using a little bit of knowledge you have taught me today.

I don't think your work in Fusion 360 is necessarily at fault, but rather the way Fusion 360 is handling the STL output / export.

If you like you can ZIP and email me your STEP file and I'll see how it comes into SolidWorks.

frank@xyzpros.com

On 4/19/2018 at 4:13 PM, XYZDesignPro said:

I don't think your work in Fusion 360 is necessarily at fault, but rather the way Fusion 360 is handling the STL output / export.

If you like you can ZIP and email me your STEP file and I'll see how it comes into SolidWorks.

frank@xyzpros.com

Thank you sir! But I think I am going to make a few revisions with your suggestions first. I'll post my findings in here then send you the Step file. It may take me a couple days...

Fusion 360 generally handles the generation of .stl's very well.

I have created hundreds of models from Fusion 360 designs without any issue, so I would not think that Fusion 360 is at fault.  When you export out an .stl in Fusion you have the ability to choose the refinement level - Low, Medium, High or Custom.  Low refinement can give a facetted result which may link into what you said on your original post about the printer drawing small triangles rather than long smooth lines.

Always start with the High setting, Low is generally only useful if you file sizes become huge because of the number of triangles it creates.  In your example High should work fine.