Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
phi90

printing into air ("thick stringing")

Hi all,

I noticed that our UM3E exhibits a form of stringing I have never seen: it looks like the printer is still printing in during some of the travel moves:

(check out the crown): 

DSC_0053.thumb.JPG.7aca2d64e0667e59f174ac30fc2a8006.JPG

Note that there is a couple of other things that went wrong with this (PVA nozzle blocked midway, the head of the dude on the left fell off and there is a really notable z-scar). 

I don't know of the z-scar and the "thick-stringing" are related. I suspect there must be something wrong with the retraction settings?? But even if retraction was off completely, this would just lead to normal stringing, not fully extruded filament in thin air. 

Has anyone come across something similar? 

Cheers!

Hi @phi90

thank you for your post. Did the head fall off during the print? Not sure if perspective is playing tricks on me, but perhaps (part of) these strings actually belong on the head. But since it broke already, it had no where to deposit it, and it just stayed there until the travel move attached it to a new surface. Could that make sense?

It's unfortunate that PVA got blocked. Was it an older reel, or perhaps too humid?