Cura 3.2.1 Crashing/Hanging on startup (Windows 10)

Atlantean

Posted (edited) · Cura 3.2.1 Crashing/Hanging on startup (Windows 10)

Hi,

I just bought a 3D printer from a friend (a Tevo Tarantula) and I was trying to get Cura up and running in order to do some tests. You can find my full config report attached to this message.

I downloaded Cura 3.2.1 and installed it without issues, but the first time I started it, it crashed right when it reached the User Agreement window without throwing an error. In the event log, I found this error message:

Faulting application name: Cura.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a562cae
Faulting module name: ig9icd64.dll, version: 23.20.16.4982, time stamp: 0x5aa189e1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000023660
Faulting process id: 0x342c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3d94837831aad
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.2\Cura.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_fe73d2ebaa05fb95\ig9icd64.dll
Report Id: ab780376-37b6-488f-873f-173e8d8d614e
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

After a quick search, I found that ig9icd64.dll is part of the Intel graphics driver, so I tried to update them, rebooted, and tried starting Cura again but I got the exact same result.

So I forced Cura to use my Geforce GTX970M instead (through the NVidia control panel), and started Cura again. This time, nothing showed up, but I could see Cura running in the background through the task manager. I've let it run for quite a while (>20mins) but it just seems to hang forever.

I went and check cura.log, and found only one error:

ERROR - [(15664)-MainThread] UM.Qt.QtApplication.getTheme [325]: The theme cannot be accessed before the engine is initialised

After another search, I've seen people saying that reverting to a previous version of PyQt fixes that error, so I went to the Python console and reverted PyQt, rebooted, started Cura again, but got the exact same result (= hanging in the background). Although, it does fix that precise error, and now my log file only contains debug informations and warnings.

So after running out of ideas, I tried other slicers (basically all the free ones) and the weird thing is that they all seem to either crash on startup, or just hang in the background, so I'm starting to suspect something is very wrong in my config, but I can't find what. I've updated all my drivers (including Nvidias and Intels) and ran Windows Update. All the other 3D softwares I use (3DS Max, Maya, Blender, ZBrush, Unity, UE4, etc...) and games (new and old, indies and AAA) just run fine so I really don't know what to look for.

If anyone have an idea, it will be very helpful. Thanks!

PS: My printer is not connected to my PC, as I don't have a fitting USB cable, and I don't intend to anyway as I would prefer to use gcodes stored on a SD card.

cura.log

Report.log

Edited by Atlantean

Posted · Cura 3.2.1 Crashing/Hanging on startup (Windows 10)

Little update: I tried a few hours later (without changing anything, without rebooting, without even touching the keyboard) and now it works fine, I still have no clue why though.

• 6 months later...
    Posted · Cura 3.2.1 Crashing/Hanging on startup (Windows 10)

What I have found is I can run Cura straight if I say Run as Administrator HOWEVER if Fusion 360 tries to fire it up OR I just say to run it no go Just as the main screen renders it dies