Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

The feeder hardware is the same but that sensor on an UM3 would be as useful as an addendum appendix without firmware to support it.

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users
    5 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

But....But....he included the UM3....oh phooey ?

The marlin code is available or can be made available upon request. the python code you can read on the printer.

and hey the flow sensor for the S5 was originally planned for the UM3, actually the feeder design including flow sensor can be mounted and connected to the UM3.

There is also already code to report a flow sensor error causing the printer to pause.

32 minutes ago, robinmdh said:

The marlin code is available or can be made available upon request. the python code you can read on the printer.

and hey the flow sensor for the S5 was originally planned for the UM3, actually the feeder design including flow sensor can be mounted and connected to the UM3.

There is also already code to report a flow sensor error causing the printer to pause.

Ahhh, but where to buy the flow sensor feeder and where to hook it up?

2 hours ago, robinmdh said:

@tinkergnome, I suggest you request the Marlin code. Would that be sufficient for implementing the sensor?

Interested in pilot.

I'm in.

Hello @foehnsturm ,

this project is interesting but I would like to ask: the sensor measure only the flow or it try to adjust the extrusion during the prints?

Flow sensors that are readily available just monitor and control the flow rate. I’ve been using the one by Filipe (Objects With Intelligence) on my Marlin printers for a few years.  There should be no reason they couldn’t also monitor for EOF and jams as well.

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users
    1 hour ago, MarcoUbtz said:

Hello @foehnsturm ,

this project is interesting but I would like to ask: the sensor measure only the flow or it try to adjust the extrusion during the prints?

As I mentioned in the starting post, yes we want to try that.

However there is more than one setting which could be addressed. Most likely a combination of  adjusting flow rate and print speed should work best. And the whole logic is not that simple. Like you have to check if an increased flow rate really has a positive effect on real flow, otherwise you already started grinding the filament. 

Edited by foehnsturm
    • Thanks 1

Count me in for testing on a UM3e

1 hour ago, B_Arts said:

Count me in for testing on a UM3e

Just as I found out...it is not ready for the UM3 series yet.... :(

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

As already mentioned firmware and electronics integration right now is only ready for the UM2+

I would provide a sensor if someone volunteers to work on a UM3 integration.

@robinmdh, there's a hardware compatible variant of the encoder we are using  which works in absolute mode and provides a SPI interface. Do you think it could meet the UM3 flow sensor interface?

Edited by foehnsturm

On 6/27/2018 at 9:02 AM, robinmdh said:

That's news to me.  I'd really like to look at the marlin code.  Sometimes there are bugs and features and I like to do a quick look over the code to understand things.  For example I've been curious about what the default acceleration and jerk settings are for the UM3.  I think I know the answer (3000/20) but I'd be much more confident if I could look at the arduino firmware.

Also I might want to help this sensor project and work on changing the firmware to incorporate tinkergnome's code and integrate that in with the python code on the UM3 somehow.

So: can I get a copy please?  a zip file?  A git repository?  anything would be nice.

• Like 3

When will UM2 + be released? Am looking forward to

On 6/27/2018 at 3:02 PM, robinmdh said:

hey the flow sensor for the S5 was originally planned for the UM3, actually the feeder design including flow sensor can be mounted and connected to the UM3.

Does anyone know a UM reseller who sells the S5 feeder or parts individually?  The UM reseller I talked to said that they can't sell the S5 feeder or parts individually. Maybe @fbrc8-erin knows more about this? 

13 hours ago, gr5 said:

That's news to me.  I'd really like to look at the marlin code.

Anyone who has a UM3 has the GPL-given right to receive the source as it is used in the product.

• Like 2

That's a good point. I'm requesting source.  Is there a better contact for officially requesting the source (I have a UM3).

@Daid has said "contact me" on more than one occasion (talking about firmware sources)

• Like 1

So far I've noted down the following binding orders for a UM2+ flow sensor pilot:

@Dim3nsioneer

@cjs

@fbrc8-erin

@conny_g

Anyone missing?

As mentioned an UM3 integration is not yet available.

We will see if @gr5 gets a deeper insight about the possibilities.

• Like 1

Flow sensors are ready for shipping next week.

Please send a PM with your delivery address.

Done.

I will prepare the wires in a way it can be directly connected as Sensor1 for the standard single extrusion setup.

flowsensorconnect.thumb.jpg.e3ab7354b1dcf1f4470ec9fab46eaa08.jpg

Oh. I am using EXP3 for the sync signal of my UV laser exposure solution.... ?
    It's not needed at the same time, though. So I could switch between the two somehow, in the firmware and in hardware.

If the flow sensor can handle (ignore) an "incoming" signal, then I can switch the port to output instead of input and it would just work, without any extra hardware required.

@tinkergnome, I believe incoming signals on  A won't generate interrupts when the flow sensor is disabled?