Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

Hmm I thought the A1332 is the EoL item. I guess unless someone actually make a custom board for the IC it wont be a good option.

Anyway, impatiently ? waiting for the AMT encoder to see how things would work. Still hope someone would chime in on my query above about the pinout. I mean the worst I can do is switch them but would be nice to get the correct one and not burn the board.

Posted · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

@foehnsturm

fyi, the parcel arrived a few days ago, thank you!
    Will take a while until I have the time to do the mod.

Currently too much work, projects already in progress and also family vacation to be done.

• 1 month later...

I have no idea what @rigs adaptor looks like, but fyi I made this one.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/bondtech-qr-high-bracket-for-ultimaker2

22 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

@rigs , is your Bondtech QR adapter available somewhere as step file or similar? It has too much play in my case and turns very easily.

Hi Stefan,

My apologies for the design, the play is too important.

STEP_adap_flow_sensor_bondtech.zip

No problem, I meant no offense.

It's probably the material choice which decides in this case whether or not the design has to be adjusted.

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users

@foehnsturm: First test shows:

- sensor works

- flow is around 95% during print

- flow variation is pretty large (90-100%)

- some correlation between flow rate and infill quality can be seen

- retractions influence the flow rate for a very short time (almost not visible by eye)

Edited by Dim3nsioneer
    • Like 1

@3dprinting_guy, for an UM2GO with the old black feeder you would have to design an adapter. Not sure about the firmware (@tinkergnome ?).

On 9/7/2018 at 8:21 PM, foehnsturm said:

Not sure about the firmware

UM2Go firmware doesn't exists yet, but should be doable with a bit of extra work...

Basically: the growing count of different modifications to each printer variant is a recurring challenge. Even the UM2Go can have an Olsson block, a different feeder, a heated bed, a second extruder and so on... That's the benefit of open source hardware.

There's no 'one-for-all' firmware but there's always the possibility to modify it - that's the benefit of open source software (i can not stress it enough... ?).

On 9/5/2018 at 6:20 PM, foehnsturm said:

Hi guys, holdays are over here now.

Any experiences with the sensor to share so far?  

@cjs@conny_g, @fbrc8-erin, @Dim3nsioneer, @jffry7

I am back from vacation for a week now, but have a lot of work at the moment. Will take a few more weeks until I get to test the sensor. ?

Posted (edited) · Flow sensor for the UM2+ (and even perhaps for the UM3) - Call for pilot users
    On 9/9/2018 at 5:50 AM, tinkergnome said:

UM2Go firmware doesn't exists yet, but should be doable with a bit of extra work...

Basically: the growing count of different modifications to each printer variant is a recurring challenge. Even the UM2Go can have an Olsson block, a different feeder, a heated bed, a second extruder and so on... That's the benefit of open source hardware.

There's no 'one-for-all' firmware but there's always the possibility to modify it - that's the benefit of open source software (i can not stress it enough... ?).

Yep I can understand the amount of possible combinations with the various mods that can be done. My UM2GO as the Olson Block/iRoberti Feeder/Meduza Upgrade kit and a heated bed :). Thanks for the firmware to make that all possible :).

I'd be happy to try the filament sensor with my UM2+

Edited by 3dprinting_guy

On 7/16/2018 at 4:57 PM, foehnsturm said:

What's in the package:

Flow sensor with mounted encoder, twist-lock adapter for UM2+ feeder, cable, some spare parts.

P1150457.thumb.JPG.e49bfaba375d4e0544833bfd976d1683.JPG 

i can buy this

have UM2+ & UM3

thx

is this project still ongoing? I'm interested in finding a filament sensor for the ultimaker 2+ that i use for protyping some parts. The ultimaker I'm using has the filament upgrade kit on it. 

Hey guys,

sorry for not beeing responsive lately.  

So, currently interested:

@laverda

@wimismith

@3dprinting_guy

Please feel free to correct or add yourself to the list. 

Hey Guys,

This is a very interesting project.  It is really awesome to know that there are people out there always looking to improve a product.  I continuously try to research ways to improve my printer, the hard part for me is programming.  I have only made simple arduino codes.  

I currently run an UM2 with a bondtech QR and an Olson Block. I am currently working on getting my printer switched over to an E3D V6 hotend.  I assume that it would work on my printer? If so, I would be interested in purchasing one. 

Edited by Ace1992

Update, you guys want one:

@laverda

@henry-tong

@Ace1992

@wimismith

@3dprinting_guy

@Ramzes777

Correct?

I'm going to order parts by the end of next week.

Yep!  Count me in!!

yes, i'm still interested.

good to go if it works with a Mark2

@laverda

@henry-tong

@Ace1992

@wimismith

@3dprinting_guy

@Ramzes777

Please send me a PM with your address details and add a remark if you want more than one sensor. 

So, is this still non-UM3 compatible?

@jffry7, any news on a possible UM3 integration?

I'm interested if you still want more testers.  I'm interested in being a reseller for this as well in USA.