Custom mouse & touchpad controls

MarkF

Posted · Custom mouse & touchpad controls

I wish the mouse view controls worked like FreeCAD.  The right click for rotation is very awkward to use.

In FreeCAD the view controls are:

SHIFT + Mouse Move (no button click) to pan view

ALT + Mouse Move (no button click) to rotate view

It seems very intuitive to just hold either the CTRL or ALT key and move the mouse to pan and rotate the camera view. 

On Windows 10 without a mouse, Shift+Click pans and Right+Click rotates. 

The CTRL+Click does nothing.  A weird mix of mouse and touchpad control.

Here is the problem: Everybody wants their mouse commands to be like the mouse commands from whatever package they use most. That is a lot of things to pound into one interface.

I would rather fix continuity issues as well as focus on making cool stuff. The only thing I would like in this area of mouse control is hooks into the 3D mouse so I could unify all my programs interface navigation. I use several programs all the time. And, it is not easy to get used to interfaces. Even after all my years I still get lost on which program I am working within.

But, until 3D mouse support, make the other, really cool things happen :)

• Like 1

At least fix Cura so the touchpad works as stated in the documentation. Currently, the CTRL button does NOT work. I was just suggesting you drop the click portion for touchpads. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MarkF said:

At least fix Cura so the touchpad works as stated in the documentation. Currently, the CTRL button does NOT work. I was just suggesting you drop the click portion for touchpads. 

This should follow as workable in the docs. Ergo, interface continuity of a sort.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Custom mouse & touchpad controls

It's very annoying to swap hands on the touchpad to switch between pan and rotate.  I thought FreeCAD was a better implementation and the ALT key was not being used by Cura. 

Plus a left cllick ends up selecting the model half the time instead of panning.  Just holding the SHIFT or ALT key with a mouse move would avoid it.

Also, the view rotate seems to rotate around the viewpoint instead of the object/print bed.  Hence, rotation tends move the object outside the field of view.

Edited by MarkF

NO DISCUSSION?  NO SUPPORT?

Either, I'm the only one using a laptop with just the touchpad?

Or, I'm the only one that finds the view control cumbersome?

I would think that maybe the majority is attaching a mouse? That is just a guess. But keep at it. I do believe it is worthwhile as who knows how many people decided to not use it because of that very reason.

The feature exists. It is Space+drag.

No idea why can't it be also Ctrl+drag. 

Hey! Good news! One of our contributors contributed this feature and you can use it in the next Cura version. You can select to use the FreeCad from preference

image.thumb.png.a80b813ebef04526f0821ca8b442082a.png