Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
klaus_kraemer

How to use support blocker???

Hi and welcome,

Don't be embarrassed :)

I didn't try it yet in the new 3.3 cura but usually you would create a cube and place it where you don't want support to be generated (overlap the parts of the model with the anti-overhang mesh).

For it to work you of course need to activate supports for the regular model

• Like 1

Thanks for this, BUT: How do I create these blocks to use as a support blocker?

Please don't get mad at me, but I think documentation of CURA does not meet any standards as I cannot find any comprehensive manual, which is bad. Also adding new features to software simply calls for a clear description if you do not want users to think that you don't respect their lifetime they have to invest to understand the new feature without help from the manufacturer. As I am used to self learn, I have tried for some hours to find a solution - wasted hours stolen from my life and my familiy...

And as an afterthought wouldn't it be more user friendly to 'simply' enable the user to draw a support blocker layer in the layer view?

Edited by klaus_kraemer
Changed mesh view to layer view

With your object enabled, select the Support Eraser tool. Now click on an area of the object which you don't want to be supported.

A cube will appear on that part of the model. Using the regular translate and scale tools you can move that cube around if it did not end up in the expected area you clicked.

• Thanks 1

First time I got this ominous cube on the screen now. A little bit weird behaviour, sometimes it disappears again, when I klick on it, sometime I can move it around and resize it. Seems to be an elaborate feature, especially when you work around round or spheric shapes. I'll try more, before I complain...

Still in my imagination of workflow and accuracy I can only think of working on the layers to achieve accurate results...

Edited by klaus_kraemer
Typo...

Have to say Support Blocker is not very intuitive and usable.  Since Cura is generating the support structures, seems as if, at the very least, cura could list all the individual structures its has generated and one could pick through the various structures as it highlights them in the model and turn them on/off.  The cube thing is annoying and not very user friendly....one thing is once I create one cube for an area, I want to be able to elongate it on two other axis to block out support but can't do that with the scale function. Can't even copy that cube but have to to creating more cubes and scaling them as well...what a tedious pain! 

39 minutes ago, IvoPi said:

Since Cura is generating the support structures

Cura does not generate support structures, CuraEngine does. CuraEngine only returns layer data to Cura, so Cura does not know the geometric structures.

The current Support Blocker is a first version of the tool. If you do not like it, feel free not to use it for now. It will likely improve over the next versions.

Same issues with Support blocker. Do I have to make my own cube? IF not, how do I generate it? I need to make a ring to block support on the outer diameter that steps out from a smaller diameter.

Is there a slicer program out there, free or otherwise, that actually blocks support with instructions we humans can follow?

On 5/5/2018 at 9:24 PM, ahoeben said:

With your object enabled, select the Support Eraser tool. Now click on an area of the object which you don't want to be supported.

A cube will appear on that part of the model. Using the regular translate and scale tools you can move that cube around if it did not end up in the expected area you clicked.

Thanks ahoeben,

I am using version 3.3.1 and all I can find is the support blocker. Could you direct me the support eraser tool. Have looked in the online help documentation and elsewhere, but no luck finding it.

Just played around with the support blocker feature and think I understand now why people may have problems using it.

Indeed the handling is not very intuitive.

Why I must

a.) first select a model to activate the blocker tool, than

b.) select the blocker tool, than

c.) click on the model where the blocker should appear?

Any chance that the (IMHO unnecessary) step a.) could be avoided?

Edited by berndjm

7 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

If I am correct, Step A is required to limit the blocker to just the model in question

Unfortunately, step A is required "because of how Cura is built". You will notice that all tools in the sidebar (except from the Open button, which is not actually in the toolbar) get disabled when there is no selection.

This can not be changed easily.

Edited by ahoeben
  • Like 1