Printer Settings plugin

ahoeben

Posted · Printer Settings plugin
3 hours ago, jesimon said:

Hmm, I'm not seeing it in the Marketplace or in your screenshot. Are you referring to "Printer Settings"? That's something different.

Oops, silly me, you're right. Sorry.

• 2 years later...

I honestly don't know for sure, but from the looks of the description of the Firmware Retraction setting, that setting only changes how a retraction is made, not if a retraction is made. So you would need both enabled.

I did not "invent" the settings added by the Printer Settings plugin; the plugin just shows settings that are normally not user-accessible.

Hi ahoeben,

once again thanks for your good work.

Can you tell me what the value "default x-y jerk" actually means?

At least or me it is set to 10 mm/s by default which is way to low for my printer printing ABS (70 mm/s works better for me).

According to my config.g (Duet2) the max value for x-y jerk seems to be 480 mm/s.

Will cura always go for 480mm/s if I set the "default" value or is it some kind of maximum?

I can't find any M566 in the gcode but the setting seems to affect the jerk nevertheless.

Thanks,

dtose

@dtose - you aren't confusing Jerk with Acceleration are you?  Jerk is typically 5 to 50mm/sec.  I think of it as the "speed around a corner".  480mm/sec would be well over print speed.  Acceleration on the other hand is usually 100mm/sec² to 10,000mm/sec² depending on the mechanical capability of the printer.  The default Accel and Jerk on my Ender are 500 and 8 respectively.

As far as I know, that settings (internally known as 'machine_max_jerk_xy') is used only to calculate the time it takes the printer to move the printhead, and the closer you set it to the actual value your printer uses the better the print time estimation is. If I am wrong, @ghostkeeper will be able to correct me.

@GregValiant - That was exactly what I was looking for, since I got poor corner quality on a test cube and suspected the speed during changes of direction to be the reason. To be honest I was more than surprised of that value.

But as it turns out I was wrong - I should have paid attention to the units...

M201 X500.00 Y500.00 Z100.00 E500.00                   ; set accelerations (mm/s^2)
    M203 X9000.00 Y9000.00 Z1000.00 E3600.00               ; set maximum speeds (mm/min)
    M204 P500.0 T500.0                                     ; set print and travel accelerations (mm(s^2)
    M566 X480.00 Y480.00 Z48.00 E300.00                    ; set maximum instantaneous speed changes (mm/min)

So it is 8 mm/s...

@ahoeben

At least from my experience adjusting the setting changes the qualtiy of the edges on a test cube.

Setting it to 10 mm/s causes all corners to get round and draw inwards while 60 mm/s result in nice sharp corners.

My best guess is that the slow movement of the hot nozzle (255°C in my case) leads to warping.

At least I witnessed a significant increase of warping on slow (40mm) print speeds.

Do you see a chance to include the machine_max_jerk_xy value in the really much appreciated material settings plugin?

Some of the printer settings values are available there, jerk isn't.

My first approach was to use jerk control of cura - bad idea. I got terribly ghosted prints.

All of the above is related to Redline ABS.

Unfortunately I threw away all the slow jerk prints. I'll print a new one with 8 mm/s and post pictures of both results.

Thanks for the infos,

dtose

"I should have paid attention to the units..."

I missed that until you mentioned it.  The setting in Marlin is M205 and the units are mm/sec.

Posted (edited) · Printer Settings plugin

Upon further inspection, it looks like the machine_max_jerk_xy value is actually written to the gcode file by CuraEngine, so it does affect what the printer does (in addition to affecting the print time estimation):

https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/blob/92fd0abb7867ca3c86fdac67fc950497562c60f1/src/FffGcodeWriter.cpp#L3006

and

https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/blob/df96b2ff011a316010fec5035620dda692edd52a/src/gcodeExport.cpp#L1375

You do need to have the jerk_enabled setting set.

20 minutes ago, dtose said:

Do you see a chance to include the machine_max_jerk_xy value in the really much appreciated material settings plugin?

The setting is a "global" setting that can not be set per extruder. There's also no rule to decide how to "resolve" (possibly) multiple extruder-settings into a global setting. That means that unfortunately no, I can not add the setting to the material settings plugin. Cura simply would not "listen to" what the material says the value should be according to what you would set in the material settings plugin.

Just to clarify, both the Printer Settings and Material Settings plugins don't handle settings individually; they are governed by what is defined in the fdmprinter.def.json file. The settings that the Printer Settings plugin adds are not settings that I "invented", but they are settings that are normally only available for printer definition writers and hidden in the GUI. My plugin just makes them visible. That is also why I don't know what each setting does exactly.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

I can clarify that a bit. Default X-Y Jerk is indeed used for two things:

• Getting correct time estimates, if jerk control is disabled. If Cura doesn't control the jerk, the firmware has its own defaults. To get correct time estimates, Cura has to know what the firmware's default is then.
    • Resetting the printer to its firmware-default X/Y jerk value at the end of the print (if jerk control is enabled). That way, your prints don't influence later prints done on that same printer even if it's printed with a different slicer.

The second usage is what Ahoeben found there.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

I just wanted to let you know that UMS5 ignores most of the settings. I tried to increase maximum retraction speed and some other things. Doesn´t work.