Visual glitch in layers view

Timmiej93

Posted · Visual glitch in layers view

I've not been using Cura for long, but what's happening now definitely seems off to me.

As you can see in the picture below, the top few layers in layer mode seem to be drawn with very wide layers. That width isn't there in the model, it's just a vertical wall of consistent width. When moving the layer view height around, everything renders like this, but only above the height of the bottom plate, that does render properly. 
I made this model in Fusion 360. Is this something I did wrong while modeling, or is this something to do with Cura?

Capture.thumb.PNG.4c7f49bac91fc70bea3318de4b070aa2.PNGUntitled.thumb.png.08f35cfc6f4f31fee8bf1b6d20f0d00a.pngCaptur2e.thumb.PNG.fd2038e2a656dcd20ff12afb212c0b68.PNG

First of all - be aware that it will print what you see in layer view - so don't even try to print that.

Try looking at it in xray mode.  Are you sure there aren't other walls out there?  That looks so strange.  Can you show a photo of the model in xray and also normal view?

I suspected as much, so I've moved on to another model for the moment. I did notice it had something to do with the settings I was using, because reverting back to a default profile seems to have "solved" it. I'm still very curious as to what could cause this though.

Capture.thumb.PNG.11bce77d3c3acb649e85e3d4259efe54.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.dad7f3de2f328d867de2d6bd75b2e94e.PNGCapture3.thumb.PNG.d575dbec485317aa53108115e6c32657.PNG

Something to do with support structure I imagine.  Well you miscommunicated the part about "walls are straight all the way up".  Now that I see them they bend over at the top.  But I see the glitch you were talking about better now.  Also it doesn't seem to be printing the holes maybe?  This is very strange.  I've seen a lot of weirdness in Cura but this one is new to me.

I didn't say the walls were vertical all the way up, although I do see how it could be read like that. I meant that the weirdness was happening at a vertical section. I do tend to be a bit vague ?.

Which holes do you mean when you say "it doesn't seem to be printing the holes"? If you mean the holes in the uppermost horizontal bits, I think the first pictures weren't at layers high enough to show the holes. I haven't checked, but I think with this new printing profile, it should now be back to printing as usual. It's still a mystery as to how this happened though. All I can say is: For anyone coming to this thread with the same issues in the future: Try reverting to a printing profile (print settings, whatever you like to call it) that you know has worked before, that's what resolved it for me.