Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
mm_build

The Real Cost of PLA

So I got my shipment of PLA from Ultimachine today.

Cost of PLA on spool: 66.00

Cost of shipping: 23.89

Tax: 3.28

Brokerage Fee: 29.70

Tax on Brokerage Fee: 1.48

Grand Total: 124.35

That is for One (1) 5lb spool of PLA, shipped regular ground by UPS.

There has to be a better way :(

So I got my shipment of PLA from Ultimachine today.

Cost of PLA on spool: 66.00

Cost of shipping: 23.89

Tax: 3.28

Brokerage Fee: 29.70

Tax on Brokerage Fee: 1.48

Grand Total: 124.35

That is for One (1) 5lb spool of PLA, shipped regular ground by UPS. There has to be a better way :(

This was an international shipment (that would explain the high P&H fees, and the duties you paid)?

there is no supplier in your country:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Printing_Material_Suppliers ?

Thanks for that list, I had not seen it before. Yes, it is international but it's just US to Canada, they sure like to rail you for ordering outside the country I guess. There are 2 Canadian suppliers in that list, one has no stock at the moment, and the other has only 3 colours (4 if you count white and translucent white). No one has Natural PLA :(.

Well, I suppose it is better than paying so much. I can make do with white and black PLA, eventually I am going to want some flexible stuff though.

Thanks again

Definitely not that much of a hit here in the states. The flat rate boxes help keep costs down and Ultimachine uses them, and subtract the brokerage fee. Ultimachine is about close enough for me to drive to from here. I didn't realize shipping across borders would add that much.