Upgrade UMO Printhead

Posted · Upgrade UMO Printhead

Hi Community

I have an Ultimaker Original and I have been using it for 3 years now. The printer can produce very nice prints in PLA, but the printhead (especially the hotend) are a pain. Maintenance is very intense and time consuming.

I already changed all belts in the past, and of course I switched to the heated bed. Now, I'm looking for an option to completely change the printhead. The teflon coupler is almost $20 and has to be changed just too often, even though I only print PLA.

What options do I have to change the printhead? Basically I just want to reduce maintenance. If it's possible to print even ABS after the upgrade, its welcome, but it's not mandatory.

For example, E3d V6 hotend: Has anyone made the switch from the original printhead to this one? What are advantages / disadvantages? What modifications have to be done?

Are there any other options out there?

Beside this intended upgrade, I also consider buying another printer due to two reasons:

-dual printhead; I would like to be able to print water soluble support material as this would remove many constraints I often had

print volume; the UMO print volume is often limiting, and I would like to increase it. Raise3D seems an option to me.

Buying another printer is another topic, and I would first like to upgrade my UMO.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I’m not sure if you can fit an Olson Block or even a matchless Block, if you can then with the various Nozzles available you can fit an I2K washer between the block and the Teflon this greatly improves wear problems, I think I change mine every 6 months.

There are people using both E3Dv6 and UM2 print heads on UMO(+), me included (using an UM2 head on an UMO+).

For the UMO it takes a bit more since the motherboard is not the same as on the UM2.

But it is still doable.

Here is some useful info if you want to take the UM2 route:

I haven't used the E3Dv6 myself but one drawback seems to be that you can have issues printing PLA since it is an all-metal hotend. On the other hand, it allows you to use materials that requires high temps without worrying about a coupler that might be damaged.

• 1 month later...

There are quite a few people who made mounts for the E3d V6 + UMO on Thingyverse most of who have instructions and information about this transformation.