Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
meav33

problem printing with second nozzle of dual extruder

Hi, im using a chimera hotend on my selfbuild printer.

I use cura, because of its excellent dual extruder capabilities, but i have serios problems when only printing with the second nozzle.

I select the second extruder for the print and it beginns fine. It heats up the bed and the second nozzle, but right bevor the print starts it always retracts the second extruder 16mm, so the print starts without filament in the nozzle. This does not happen when im using the first extruder only, but it does happen when printing with both nozzles and the second one is the first one to be used. I have nothing In the extruder start end end gcode sections, so i dont know how to get rid of this behavior.

i have attached the generated gcod, of a part sliced for the second nozzle, where the unnecessery retraction can be seen:

Any help would be appreciated.

CFDMP_xyzCalibration_cube.gcode

The setting for retraction is PER EXTRUDER.

You need to set that setting (which is hidden) under "Material".

The setting doesn't show up if you have the other extruder disabled at the time. 

There is also (right clicking) on a setting to copy value to other extruders. This should work too, I guess, but I've not tried it.

I'm in the same boat, trying to get a Chimera+ CR-10S working. 

Hi, sadly that doesnt really fix my issue:

My Problem is, that when i select the second extruder for the print (only the second, so also for the brim) the printer will do a 16mm retraction right after it finished heating up the extruder (you can see this in the gcode). This retraction means, that the print wont sucessfully start.

Does this behavior not happen with your cura configuaration?