Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
spiruline

ABS not sticking to heated bed

Hello,

I have tried every single trick I have seen online and all kind of Cura parameters, temperatures, speeds, etc... and I can't manage a single ABS print.

I have made a heated bed with kapton tape just to be able to print ABS. I have tried the hair spray, the sand paper, the ABS juice, without success.

PLA prints are not resistant enough and temperature stable for my purposes, and I really need to print ABS.

Any last advice to get ABS to stick before I throw the printer down the window?

thanks !

Hi

Need to make sure your bed is level and the right distance at start.

Usual setting are a thicker slower first layer. Brim on, fan off.

If your still not sticking onto Kapton tape I would verify the actual temperature of your HBP

1) What temperature did you try for the bed? I'm guessing not hot enough. Where did you measure the temp - and how. Also you should try turning off the heated bed once the first layer is down. This will keep edges from lifting but has side effects.

2) Can you post your STL file? Changing the model slightly can make a huge difference - post it for suggestions. Or post it somewhere else and post a link to it.

3) Did you use the brim feature? It helps. Did you turn off raft? You should.

Thank you for your answers.

Things are going better. These are some of the mistakes I was making, in case it can help someone:

- The model had rounded (in the Z axis) corners and very little contact base to stick to the heating bed. So, that was solved by changing the model.

- My heating bed is made of 4mm aluminum placed over the heating PCB. The thermistor was placed between both parts, so it was reading the temperature of the PCB, which was much higher than the aluminum base. So I taped the sensor the the top of the aluminum platform and now I am getting a much hotter platform which has helped a lot.

- Also I am using real acetone now, instead of nail polisher.

Now that the hardware is tuned up, Cura has stopped working, it doesn't save the GCODE. I´ll look in Cura forum...