Printer name - prefix on G Code

QC102

Posted · Printer name - prefix on G Code

Don't just drag the same file into the folder (you aren't trying to overwrite the existing file), give it a new name first, then drag it into the folder. If you overwrite the file nothing will happen unless you clear the printer from your machine instances folder in the roaming folder (access by clicking help>show configuration folder)

The prefix takes the first character from each word in "name", so changing from A8 to A6 wont make any difference to the name unless there is a space between the A and the 6.

BTW I am not a computer programmer and generally have no idea but I just mucked around with this until it worked. I found the default prefix pretty useless so I found this thread when I was searching how to change it.

6 hours ago, brenyw said:

Don't just drag the same file into the folder (you aren't trying to overwrite the existing file), give it a new name first, then drag it into the folder. If you overwrite the file nothing will happen unless you clear the printer from your machine instances folder in the roaming folder (access by clicking help>show configuration folder)

The prefix takes the first character from each word in "name", so changing from A8 to A6 wont make any difference to the name unless there is a space between the A and the 6.

BTW I am not a computer programmer and generally have no idea but I just mucked around with this until it worked. I found the default prefix pretty useless so I found this thread when I was searching how to change it.

Tried it this way first - nothing  changed - assumed that as it did not say to rename the  file before saving or drag n dropping it I was doing it wrong and thereafter did not  rename the file.

7 hours ago, brenyw said:

OK... I get to 4.2.1. definitions - copy Anet A6.def.json    using text editor change A6 to A8 and saved.  copied and pasted this file in definitions and  it sits under the Anet A6.   I close definitions and and  using the  desktop icon - open Cura 4.2.1.   - then  I get the pop up warning that the A8 files has issues!    I closed and reopened the Cura - the pop up did not show - but neither  did the A8 option!   Did a cold boot - re opened Cura 4.2.1 - pop up warning A8 etc.    Unless a mac user is following and can get this to  function - I am done.   Thanks for your patience.  

A8 CHANGED.png

BOTH FILES.png

A8 NOT ADDED.png

• 2 weeks later...
    On 9/10/2019 at 7:43 AM, brenyw said:

How to change the prefix in saved Cura files.

In this example I use a Wanhao i3 plus (for other printers copy the relevant printer file)

Copy the following file to your desktop and rename the copy to your preference:

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.2\resources\definitions\wanhao_i3plus.def.json

I renamed it “wanhao_i3plus_PETG.def.json” in my example

Open the file to alter it, I use a program called “Code Writer”

Within that file, edit the name (line 3) to your preference. Remember the first character of each word in the name will become the prefix of files created, so don’t use spaces between words if needed.

Hello, it worked for me !

got a Geeetech A10. Geeetech A10 json file is in place but Cura does not see it. instead it sees the Geeetech A10M json file and the prefix is only "G_".so i changed line 3 from "Geeetech A10M"to "Geeetech A10" and save the file : the new prefix is now "GA10_"

thank you brenyw and all contributors. have a nice day.

10 hours ago, Jraf said:

Hello, it worked for me !

got a Geeetech A10. Geeetech A10 json file is in place but Cura does not see it. instead it sees the Geeetech A10M json file and the prefix is only "G_".so i changed line 3 from "Geeetech A10M"to "Geeetech A10" and save the file : the new prefix is now "GA10_"

thank you brenyw and all contributors. have a nice day.

On Windows  - or - iMac OS ???/

11 hours ago, QC102 said:

On Windows  - or - iMac OS ???/

Hello QC102, i'am running under windows 10 pro. have a nice day.

On 9/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, Jraf said:

Hello QC102, i'am running under windows 10 pro. have a nice day.

Seem I am the only person on the on this forum using NOT Windows !   But this "fix" does not  work on iMac's

On 9/28/2019 at 11:10 AM, QC102 said:

Seem I am the only person on the on this forum using NOT Windows !   But this "fix" does not  work on iMac's

Maybe when it comes up with the error message at the start go with the "remove all configs". This will remove ALL your previously saved printers from the local config area (not the original definitions). Then you just need to re-add them and they will be refreshed in the local config.

Since I don't have a mac, I can't try this, but if you get it working you will be able to help other mac users.

BTW if you up upgrade to the latest version of Cura you will probably need to add the altered definition files again, in the equivalent location location for the new version.

Thanks for coming back.

I downloaded - installed 4.3 Beta  - followed trail to definitions = copied Aneta6 file - pasted to desktop, edited with a simple text editor I change Anet A6 to A8 - then I see this - which I drag n drop into definitions.

{
        "version": 2,
        "name": "ABW_A8”,
        "inherits": "fdmprinter",
        "metadata": {
            "visible": true,
            "author": "Mark",
            "manufacturer": "Anet",
            "file_formats": "text/x-gcode",
            "platform": "aneta6_platform.stl",
            "platform_offset": [0, -3.4, 0],
            "machine_extruder_trains":
            {
                "0": "anet_a6_extruder_0"
            }
        },

The results are the  same error pop up - I did the reset - no change and  it leaves the parasitic clone A8 in place! I closed,  removed the A8 file and it loads normal - no error pop up.

I opened the file in my web application ( Dreamweaver CC)  looking in code view it shows the printer name as being on line 2.  I just wonder why  in Windows it seems to be line 3.  This { opens the file content and  this closes it }  

So  the top { is line 1 - is there any difference in Windows. Mind you if there is it will not change the apple code.

So no change - it seems iMac and mini macs - don't  like change!   

I did put the "mod" on FB in  one of the A8 groups... it went on News Feed.... no responce.