Ultimaker Tough PLA

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker Tough PLA

I've tested eSun pla and it gets soft at the same temp as all the other PLAs - right about 52C.  Hence you want the build plate at 60C.   Strength and flexibility is decent and typical of all other PLAs for sale these days.  I'm sure the 10x claim is versus pure PLA.  Even a 30% stronger PLA would be a big deal.  10X?  Even CF filaments aren't 10X "stronger".  Steel is almost exactly 10X stronger than PLA.

http://gr5.org/mat/index.html

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Tough PLA
On 6/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, gr5 said:

I've tested eSun pla and it gets soft at the same temp as all the other PLAs - right about 52C.  Hence you want the build plate at 60C.   Strength and flexibility is decent and typical of all other PLAs for sale these days.  I'm sure the 10x claim is versus pure PLA.  Even a 30% stronger PLA would be a big deal.  10X?  Even CF filaments aren't 10X "stronger".  Steel is almost exactly 10X stronger than PLA.

http://gr5.org/mat/index.html

Did you test their regular PLA or their PLA+ (sometimes called Pro)?

http://www.esun3d.net/products/142.html

Edited by babblefish
added eSun web page

I tested their regular pla.  I have tested about 20 different brands of PLA and they all get soft around 52C.  Unless it is advertised as "high temp PLA" or HPLA (for example proto pasta has such a thing) I doubt it's different.  

Anyway it's very easy to test yourself.  Set the build plate to 60C and place 5cm of filament on the build plate with a towel over it.  After 1 full minute at temperature grab the filament and bend it.  At 60C you will see it's soft.  Then lower to 45C and then try at half way between 52C and so on until you find the point where it gets soft.

As a general rule of thumb you want to print with the build plate 5C to 10C above this temp so that the bottom few layers can flow slightly (like clay) when under strong stress due to warping stresses.  This will help keep your print on the glass.  This rule doesn't apply to flexibile filaments such as TPU nor to Nylon which doesn't have an obvious softening point but instead just keeps getting more flexible gradually (so 80C should be enough for nylon but it gets suddenly pliable just a little below the melting point).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got my S5 and printed with black tough PLA.  While the model was small, the filament was dispensing very thick and goopy...thinking either to reduce the flow rate or the temp.  It is currently using default settings as detected by the NFC.

Do most of you find it customary to have to change those detected settings? 

1 hour ago, chuckmcgee said:

Just got my S5 and printed with black tough PLA.  While the model was small, the filament was dispensing very thick and goopy...thinking either to reduce the flow rate or the temp.  It is currently using default settings as detected by the NFC.

Do most of you find it customary to have to change those detected settings? 

Usually you shouldn't. What type of print core are you using, and do you have a photo of the print? And congratulations on your S5 ?

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Tough PLA

Thank you for the quick reply @gr5 and @SandervG

My first print (maybe not the best) was an antenna cap I designed for my truck.  I have a tall antenna that I don't use, so I unscrewed it and use an antenna cap I designed.  I decided I would replace the resin one I did on a Form2 with the new S5 with tough PLA (hoping it would hold up to the sun better than traditional PLA).

I used the standard 0.4AA nozzle.

Here is the model in Fusion360 (10mm diameter of the widest part):

767127769_ScreenShot2018-07-18at7_29_30PM.thumb.png.19f538d6a781efa26ed8e2b8e99e0015.png

30436932_ScreenShot2018-07-18at7_29_14PM.thumb.png.2cfc7cc6b6ef95f3a1176ef4bc910819.png

Here is the outcome with default settings:

IMG_0958.thumb.jpg.d2474e9bf82fb0c25888eb26e7911b56.jpgIMG_0959.thumb.jpg.d12826c5cf7bb5d3fe910cc4a6626c33.jpgIMG_0960.thumb.jpg.e81e0f5bb020cc2a689583e4097d09d1.jpg

Edited by chuckmcgee