Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
choco

Can I really have a blocked nozzle?

Hi all,

My Ultimaker jammed so I followed the instructions on this site to remove the plugged PLA, as I have done successfully before. But this time it didn't work. So I tried it again ... and again no success.

I'm almost convinced that the peek or nozzle itself is the problem, but struggle to believe that melted PLA could have somehow permanently blocked the brass of the nozzle.

At the moment I have the hot end heated to 250 degrees and clear of any visible PLA (which should be very soft at this temperature if there is any there). I just tried pushing some PLA by hand directly into the top of the peek. No PLA appeared from the nozzle at all. The plastic just oozed back out the top of the peek.

I can't find this problem listed in the troubleshooting guides or in the forum. Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need a new nozzle?

Thanks for your responses!

Choco.

Hi Choco,

I've just changed the PLA in my machine from one colour to another at 210 degrees and it pushed out the nozzle easily by hand.

I would suggest that you have something other then PLA in the nozzle blocking it. Take it off the machine and try blowing out with compressed air or buy some micro drills and run a 0.4 up the nozzle, be careful not to snap it off in there though.

Regards

Mark

Don't take a drill to the nozzle, this should be the very very very last resort of any kind.

take off the nozzle (while hot) and use tweezers and heat to clean out the inside of the nozzle, once yo got most of it out, switch to cotton swaps and heat... this should and will get your nozzle back to almost normal.