Why does a Z shape print as two L's

Tre4B

Posted · Why does a Z shape print as two L's

Hi I am new to Cura, trying it because I am looking for more consistency in my prints.

I am printing a bracket which looks roughly z shaped.  What I don't understand is why Cura is slicing this into two L shape sections, leaving me with a joining artifact up the side of the bracket.  This seems quite strange and I wonder if I have inadvertantly switched on something I don't understand.  I've printed this before with Slic3r and it definately did it all in one.

Any advice gratefully received.  I like the way Cura works so would like to stick with it however this could be an issue for me.

Trev

Thanks smartavionics.  So the strange thing is that I had quit cura so I just opened it, reloaded the 3mf file and sliced to grab a screen shot.  This time it has sliced it in once piece as I would have expected rather than the two L shapes.  I can't give you the screen shot that you asked for and my problem is solved, I just do not know how or what could have caused that.

I will give it one more try,  currently I seem to get about 8mm high and the hole thing shifts in the Y direction by about 2mm and goes building for a bit longer...  The attached is an image of the aborted bracket.  The mark halfway up the long side is where the ends of the two Ls were meeting.  I have no idea what has caused the Y shift, the model was stuck like s*** to a shovel so the model did not move, for some reason Y just jumped a whole bunch.

20180520_121930.jpg

Posted (edited) · Why does a Z shape print as two L's

I would like to see an image from a layer from the slice. First guess (and that is a big guess without the model to examine) is that it is not a single walled object, but two or more combined objects. Such as made one part of the '"Z" shape and then mirrored or rotated around and not fully joined to one proper object.

Edit: Or, it could be a massive layer shift....that is what the image looks like, but black is difficult for me to see details in.

Edited by kmanstudios

I don't think so as when I sliced it again it all came out okay.   Here is the STL for you to have a look at.

I have no idea at the moment what is causing this layer shift.  I've still not actually managed to get a full print out of the thing with Cura.

RLC-420 Plinth 1.1_fixed.stl