Brim + Skirt adhesion together?

3DStyle

Posted (edited) · Brim + Skirt adhesion together?

Hi,

When I print ABS the very first layers are not getting stick so well to the bed an causing a lot of mess. 

Almost every print I need to clean the excess layers with tweezers from the nozzle, which is not very convenient. 

In Simplify3D there's an option to enable both Brim and Skirt adhesion together. I would like to know if it's also can

be done in Cura, and if not, will be nice to see it implemented into the app.

That way you can clean your nozzle (or hope it will get cleaned somehow by itself) before the brim starts to print.

Thanks.

Edited by 3DStyle

• 2 years later...
    Posted · Brim + Skirt adhesion together?

Hi,

I think Skirt + Brim together would be a nice option. Because at the beginning of the printing, messy filament could be flushed out of the extruder. Better to place this messy stuff far from the printable.

Or is there an other Cura option to deal with this topic? With the initial extruder flush?

2 hours ago, endre said:

Better to place this messy stuff far from the printable.

Can't you just add another 2 lines to your brim?  The brim always prints the outside first for this very reason.  What am I missing?

Imagine, that there is some tension inside the extruder, and the filament starts leaking as the the temperature goes up.

For example at the end of the auto bed leveling, the extruder moves to the 1st point of the Brim, passing over the layers of the printable. The leaking filament damages the 1st layer.

Now I realize that it is even not solved by a Skirt., hops...  Maybe I need to add some start up G code to move sideways to the 0,0 and draw a side line there (I have seen it in an other slicers).

Or maybe if there is some filament roll on the nozzle output like here:

image.png.46c30e9fb2dfdc8909c8aab708ac02c2.png

And the Brim is started with this preset. Than this dirt is put down at the side of the Brim and can badly affect the inner lines of the Brim.

But the side line would also solve this too.

Maybe the priming line here what I am looking for: https://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/a/6357

Yes I wish "priming line" was a feature in Cura and it was enabled by default.  Better than those prime blobs.  Although usually the prime blob works just fine for me and stays far from the print.

Posted (edited) · Brim + Skirt adhesion together?

Cura always puts these lines right after my start-up Gcode:

G92 E0

G92 E0

G1 F2700 E-5

and then before the start of the skirt or brim

G1 F2700 E0

There is always some oozing before the prime line gcode which negates it's value so it takes a while to actually start extruding.  There is a strip of little dots that gets dragged around through the area where the real print will be, and if it doesn't get struck to the nozzle, it effects the print.  My work around is to Search and Replace the G1 F2700 E-5 with G92 E-5.  This does result in a blob at the start of the skirt, but it's going in the trash anyway.  The area of the print is clean.

The only real downside is that if I change either the retract amount or the retraction speed the Gcode line changes and I have to remember to change the Search criteria of the plugin.

Regarding additional prime lines off to the side - install an Ender 3 printer in Cura.  Go into the Start-Up gcode and steal the prime lines and paste them into your printer's Start-Up gcode.  It makes 4 prime lines up the left side of the build plate (double check the Y values to make sure they aren't beyond your build plate Max Y).  They can get in the way with wide prints so I opt for the Search fix described above.

Edited by GregValiant