Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
SmithLab1

Error code and no way to correct

New Ultimaker 3 and first print was incomplete, so we are trying again, same materials PLA and PVA to print another ultibot.  Now we can't load material 1 and  2.  1 loads ok - the onscreen instruction directs 1 to be loaded with material guide, which of course, prevents 2 from being loaded at all.  So we load 1 without material guide to onto the spool holder marked 2, and load it.  That works, when we try to load 2 we get an error code that too many materials detected and the controls don't allow any solution, can't back up, can't go forward.  Only option to shut down and restart.  

What are we doing wrong?

If you're using the UM spools with the RFID tags, the RF sensor is notoriously way too sensitive and can detect spools even if laying on the table near the printer.

I'd suggest you keep all unused spools far away from the printer, and start by loading material 2 then material 1 with the material guide. It always worked that way for me, before I began using dryboxes and the RFID tags became useless.

Also, in your message, you said:

22 hours ago, SmithLab1 said:

So we load 1 without material guide to onto the spool holder marked 2, and load it.  That works, when we try to load 2 we get an error code that too many materials detected and the controls don't allow any solution, can't back up, can't go forward.

I assume that's a typo, and you meant on the spool holder marked 1. If you put material 1 into spool 2, then try to load material 2, it is normal that the printer issues an error, because the RFID sensors detects a material already on spool 2, and there can't be 2 materials on the same spool.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

That has always been my process. I do wonder if it makes a difference.

Yes: it makes it impossible to put the second spool in: the printer know where material 1 and material 2 should be positioned on the spool holder, and switching positions gives an error.

10 minutes ago, Brulti said:

Yes: it makes it impossible to put the second spool in:

Could always switch things around, say if you have to load material 2 when it runs out, but have to pull material 1 off to unload and load spools for material 2.

4 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Could always switch things around, say if you have to load material 2 when it runs out, but have to pull material 1 off to unload and load spools for material 2.

Yes, which is what I did for a time before I sued the dryboxes and it became a moot point. But it's quite a bother, and once or twice I snapped the filament from material 1 while taking the spool out of the spool holder.