Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.4 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.4 | Beta

Ultimaker Cura 3.4 | Beta

It’s time for the next step in the evolution of Ultimaker Cura. We’re excited to share Ultimaker Cura 3.4 Beta with you! 
This new version holds a lot of improvements for UX, new plugins and some very interesting upgrades to the slicing engine. 

Before we get started, I would like to remind you that even though we have tested this version internally for major bugs, we can’t yet guarantee the same reliability and quality as the stable version. Therefore, if you are working on an important or time-sensitive project, we recommend to continue and use the stable version. Thank you! 

So, without further ado. What are those new improvements? 

UX improvements.

Toolbox. The plugin browser has been renamed into the ‘Toolbox’. Graphical elements are added such as tiles with contain more information upon clicking. 

Upgradable bundled resources. It’s possible now to have multiple versions of bundled resources installed; the bundled version and the downloaded upgrade. If an upgrade in the form of a package is present, the bundled version will not be loaded. If it’s not present, Ultimaker Cura will revert to the bundled version. 

Configuration error assistant. Detect and show potential configuration file errors to users, like incorrect files and duplicate files in material or quality profiles. Information is stored and communicated to the user to prevent crashing in the future. 

Reprap/Marlin GCODE flavor. RepRap firmware now lists values for all extruders in the "Filament used" GCODE comment. Contributed by @smartavionics

Plugin updates.

Backup and restore. We’ve added the functionality to backup and restore your settings and profiles to the cloud using the Cura Backup plugin. This could be a most welcome improvement when you have a custom machine, custom profiles or work with multiple computers. 

173491642_ScreenShot2018-06-26at13_17_29.thumb.png.1680f3177999264301f2174a2fcf4778.png

Autodesk Inventor integration. Open AutoDesk inventor files (parts, assemblies, drawings) directly in Ultimaker Cura. (Thanks to @thopiekar!)

Blender, OpenSCAD, FreeCAD integration. Open these files directly into Ultimaker Cura. (Again, thank you @thopiekar)

New version of OctoPrint (Thank you @ahoeben !) and MakePrintable

Slicing engine upgrades.

Infill support. When your model doesn’t need all the strength that infill gives, but you do want to give support where your top layers need it you may want to use infill support. When enabled, it generates internal support for part structures that need support. (Thank you @bagel-orb !)

551933563_supportinfill.thumb.png.65ed431aac5edc914249c2a6d918a64f.png

Print outside perimeter before holes. This prioritizes outside perimeters before printing holes. By printing holes as late as possible, there is a reduced risk of the travel moves showing unwanted artifacts on your surface. Many thanks to @smartavionics

Disable omitting retractions in support. Previous versions had no option to disable omitting retraction moves when printing supports, which could cause issues with third-party machines or materials. An option has been added to disable this and thus enable retractions when printing support. ( @bagel-orb!)

Support wall line count. Added setting to configure how many walls to print around supports. (Thanks @bagel-orb !)

Max combing distance with no retraction. This value determines the maximum distance your printhead will travel without retraction. When set to a non-zero value, combing travel moves that are longer than that distance will use retraction. (Thank you @smartavionics !)

Bug fixes.

We fixed a lot of bugs in this version. I want to highlight a few but please navigate Extensions > Changelog > Show changelog for a full list of bug fixes. 

Empty file names. If the filename is empty when you save and send your sliced model to the printer, Ultimaker Cura will report it as sent but it would never arrive. Now, if the job name is empty, it is detected and listed as ‘unnamed’. 

Print job name reslice. Fixed behavior where print job name changes back to origin when reslicing.

Curaproject naming. Fixed bug related to two "curaprojects" in the file name when saving a project.

Discard/keep. Fixed a bug where customized settings didn’t give an 'discard or keep' dialog when changing material.

Prime tower purge fix. Prime tower purge now starts away from the center, minimizing the chance of overextrusion and nozzle obstructions. Thanks to @bagel-orb

No support on first layers. Fixed a bug related to no support generated causing failed prints when model is floating above build plate.

As a final note, a big hand for @ahoeben , jwalt, ohrn, ngraziano, @smartavionics, @bagel-orb and @thopiekar . Your contributions help everyone, every day! Thank you! 

But this was just my list, there is more!

Don’t care and you’re ready to try it out? Download Ultimaker Cura 3.4 | Beta here.
Do you prefer to continue and read more about? Visit our blog.

As always, we’re looking forward receiving your feedback.

It is because of your feedback we are able to continue and improve it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You seem to have forgotten that the following features were also contributed by @bagel-orb: Infill support. Disable omitting retractions in support. Support wall line count.
Ahem! #humblebrag

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, bagel-orb said:

You seem to have forgotten that the following features were also contributed by @bagel-orb: Infill support. Disable omitting retractions in support. Support wall line count.
Ahem! #humblebrag

Whoops, good thing that you mention it! I'll add it right away! 

3 minutes ago, amagro said:

Where can we enable the "Infill support" ?

Tks

It's in the Infill category and it's called 'Infill Support'. It is just a setting.

6 minutes ago, amagro said:

Where can we enable the "Infill support" ?

Tks

It is listed under infill , and you can also find it using the search bar. It's good to realize that top faces that need support have infill. 

Here is a sphere. The sides where the walls are above a 40º angle don't get support infill. So only the overarching top / center has the support infill.

(I'm saying this because my first understanding was that some kind of internal tree support would be generated to support large top layers where you actually want a hollow model but need support, but this is not the case.) 

1149697292_supportinfill.thumb.png.de0b794d9b2eee07940a514d1af0a220.png

Ok, I must choose a percentage of filament in order to activate this setting.

Screenshot_3.jpg

Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.4 | Beta

[deleted]

Edited by bagel-orb
    info was already explicated

And whilst we're blowing our own trumpets ?, there's a new Travel setting called "Max Comb Distance With No Retract". When set to a non-zero value, combing travel moves that are longer than that distance will use retraction. I believe this has been a requested feature for some time now.

Edited by burtoogle
    • Like 2
    • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, smartavionics said:

And whilst we're blowing our own trumpet's ?, there's a new Travel setting called "Max Comb Distance With No Retract". When set to a non-zero value, combing travel moves that are longer than that distance will use retraction. I believe this has been a requested feature for some time now.

Let me first say, there are even more new features. Unfortunately I can't name them all. But I'll be happy to add this one too the list as well ?

Does it retract on both your model and with support, or only the model?

Nice! hope that some bug fixes for combing and brim are in ?

1 minute ago, SandervG said:

Does it retract on both your model and with support, or only the model?

It should apply to all combing moves irrespective of what they are moving over or between.

> Settings filter timeout
    > The settings filter is triggered on enter or after a 500ms timeout when typing a setting to filter.

Loving this fix!

7 hours ago, SandervG said:

Backup and restore. We’ve added the functionality to backup and restore your settings and profiles to the cloud using the Cura Backup plugin. This could be a most welcome improvement when you have a custom machine, custom profiles or work with multiple computers. 

I can finally update the 15 laptops we have at work! Cura is getting better and better!

• Like 2

Not sure it's new to this version, but when switching between build plates, the save-as file name does not follow the plate. So if I go from Figurine to CalibrationPrint, the name will remain "Figurine".

8 hours ago, bagel-orb said:

> Settings filter timeout
    > The settings filter is triggered on enter or after a 500ms timeout when typing a setting to filter.

Loving this fix!

There's some weirdness with the "Save to removable drive" changing to "Slice" which I can't quite figure out. I'd hit save to drive and it would reslice, I think the button isn't staying.

image.thumb.png.8b2653fea1430950104f80273ae3f404.png

Name Reset. I change name and it goes back.

-----------------

This is all on Win10 updated, with a dual extrusion custom printer. I've been using multiple build plates, I think it may be part of it.

Edited by AbeFM

So it looks like if you change the file name, and slice, it will.

Then a few seconds later (~2-3) it slices again. That's with mouse entirely outside of the window, no clicking.

Mr Admin. thanks for your message . i should like to ask for your opinion about the implementation i was working on for bed level. i think there is a problem if you canceled this  function from the previous versions of cura and putted it in printers. the problem is that this way of work is not tunable and i cannot change points to test as i can do with my extension ( now editing , tomorrow  with an input window). if you explain me why i stop to devep the extension add on and i will use it only for myself and my group .

( files in gifthub) . 

Another issue is about Cura GUI . i like the approach but it is not immediately usable and sometimes many parameters are hidden and not well showed  . I think that having a image of a printer   and the possibility to interact with the image to show and change  involved parameters of printer parts zooming on some detais as hot head parts . the image may also show in colours the incongruences of some settings putting in evidence danger situations as to much fill , too low temperature and so on . This may help expecially for first time approaching people .... or to have a real status of the printer summarized.

On 6/5/2018 at 3:31 PM, SandervG said:

Configuration error assistant. Detect and show potential configuration file errors to users, like incorrect files and duplicate files in material or quality profiles. Information is stored and communicated to the user to prevent crashing in the future. 

Great news that such a check is implemented - nevertheless, it just says that "there is an issue" but is there also somewhere a hint where in the cfg/json files it need to be fixed?

I made some special config for my UMOadv (UM2 dual head on UMO) and get the note that "configuration is corrupt" and a list of files, so I´m struggling a bit looking for the issue...

I know, it is somewhere in the nozzle definition

Edited by drayson
    • Like 1

... found it after a while seaching...

Question: would it be possible to make a debug plugin for printer setups? so something that checks machine definitions, extruder definitions, nozzle cfg and shows issues?

PS: sorry, don't want to abuse this thread... back to testing 3.4....

Edited by drayson

On 6/5/2018 at 3:31 PM, SandervG said:

Is there a way to set/change the backup to a local folder - e.g. my NAS system?

Don´t want to use the cloud when having something in place - just another registration/login/password to forget...

How do you select to 'Restore' a backup from the cloud ?