Architect Design Contest | Vehicles.

SandervG

Posted · Architect Design Contest | Vehicles.

Ultimaker architect contest

We're open for entries! 

Presenting an idea, an architectural design or something as big as an urban project isn't easy. A scaled model can really help to get your idea across. But besides your main model, there is more needed to get your idea across vividly! An architect regularly uses various entourage sets to help bring these ideas and models to live. 

At Ultimaker we think that 3D printing can have a significant impact on the projects and daily routine of an architect. There is so much more you can focus and work on while the Ultimaker is doing the labor for you. We're happy to see many architects embrace this technology and elevate their business. But.. we think we could make your lives even a little bit easier! 

Because just like any manufacturing technique, 3D printing has design guidelines. Guidelines that can make the difference between a flawless 3D print and a troublesome 3D print. We figured we could help by providing free entourage sets for architects which are designed for 3D printing and are free to use for your projects. Think of theme-packs like vehicles for urban planning, people and trees. But I can imagine that which vehicles you need may depend on your project because European vehicles might be different from American vehicles, and within a certain city or building you may need different types of people. And this is where the contest comes in ?

Separated in 3 segments we would like to ask for your help to design and provide the best entourage sets.

There are some rules though:

- One set should contain a minimum of 6 different models

- It should be designed for 3D printing, like no overhangs and it should be printable in single extrusion (without PVA).*

- It should be submitted in a 1:100 scale so it is easy to scale up or down depending on ones project

- You can submit as many entries as you want

- Ultimakers and the winning entries will be made available to use for free as entourage sets by Ultimaker

- You can only submit your own design

- It would be appreciated if your entourage set is based on real-world 'subjects' and if you add a descriptive title like 'American trucks and large vehicles'. 'People set walking' or 'Adults and kids'. 
- Each segment will run for a period of 3 weeks
- Got a submission? You can add an STL to your reply below. (It's also possible to add it to 3D files, make sure to add a link to the replies below. We only review the replies).

* -As an example, when designing our example vehicle set we initially had a little detail in each tire that represented a rim. A nice tough we thought. But upon printing, this little detail made the first layer unreliable and therefore the whole print. We removed the detail and can now run a full set without any concerns.

2026126968_Cars-detailsentourage.thumb.jpg.f9454b1636270da9f0b09af2fdd70ccd.jpg

Download: Ultimaker example Entourage - Vehicles.zip

The Start.

We're open for entries now and looking forward seeing what you will submit. Each theme will run for 3 weeks, which means the vehicle theme will run until July 9th.  When the contests are over, we will make sure the winning entries are available in this architect sub-forum and Ultimaker will continue to add to these entourage sets if necessary. Of course, we hope that everyone who submits a set will do the same.

We'll start with vehicles, then people and finally trees. 

The Prize.

So, what can you win?
In each contest, there are 2 prizes to win. 
First prize; a large filament pack. Containing 10 reels of filament; white PLA. 
Second prize, a small filament pack. Containing 5 reels of filament; white PLA. 

The Jury.

@Stefania Dinea and I, (@SandervG) are jury. We will look for the design for 3D printing element (remember, we want to make your life easier!) and your choice of design/subject, i.e., which set we think will be used most eventually.

• Like 7

That's what I was thinking. Plus everyone here understands 3D printing and what 'design for 3D printing' means. I'm really excited to see what the entries will be, I think these sets can be super helpful! 

I am very glad you guys announced this 10 days in advance of entry submissions....gives me a chance to shift gears a bit....

Also, can the models be 'glueable' say a silhouette of a person standing with a round base to print separate to be glued for standing?

I understand that @Stefania Dinea is a huge fan of glue so I would say yes. A small drop of glue to position a person on the street is a small sacrifice for a fast and reliable print. 

So I would think if you would go for a drop of glue, the base may not be necessary, but that would be totally up to you. Glue wouldn't kick you out of the competition for sure ?

1 minute ago, SandervG said:

I understand that @Stefania Dinea is a huge fan of glue so I would say yes

That is why I asked. And, it made for really nice prints of the people she printed and stood up. Yes, I read all of her posts. I am not an architect, but I taught enough of them and interior designers to really learn a lot from them.

Thanks for the clarification!! ?

• Like 1

Cool! ? Any type of printer, it doesn't need to be an Ultimaker. Our goal is to help architects by making a library available of useful entourage sets that they can use reliably for there scaled models. The most 'basic' would be a single extrusion printer, so that is what I would recommend focussing on. 

That is why the design for 3D printing is important too, so you can start 3D printing a set without any worries. 

The type of printer shouldn't be an excuse, if you can print it on a low end printer you can absolutely print it on an UM2 and above. Some things may require PVA however how you, as a designer, chose to find a work-around will make the difference - a difference that will be seen later on in time and money.Glue, or other types of  fixing are all welcomed, however i would recommend they be specified if they are very creative ?

Posted (edited) · Architect Design Contest | Vehicles.

I'd like to get involved, but never optmised a mesh before for 3D printing.

Are there any guides Ultimaker has to create objects without overhangs?

Edited by slspencer

It's Monday June 18, which means we are open for entries! 

The vehicle theme will last for 3 weeks. After vehicles, we'll introduce a new theme. (Clue; it's going to be people). 

@slspencer , in terms of guidelines, make sure there is a stable footprint. See my example about the rims in the wheels in the vehicles. 

On 6/7/2018 at 9:54 AM, SandervG said:

* -As an example, when designing our example vehicle set we initially had a little detail in each tire that represented a rim. A nice tough we thought. But upon printing, this little detail made the first layer unreliable and therefore the whole print. We removed the detail and can now run a full set without any concerns. 

It is recommended to upload your models in a 1:100 scale, that makes it easy to up or downscale to your project's size.

Try not to make any details smaller than 1mm. This may become a problem on a smaller scale and may compromise the reliability.

By default we have set 45º as an angle where Cura initiates support material. So try to keep it below that angle, no support=better. 

And as a free tip; sets based on real-life examples are probably most wanted ?

Edit: As Ultimaker we also made an example entourage set, to be used freely as inspiration, reference or for any projects you're working on. Every vehicle can be printed reliably on its side. Scale is 1:100 and the design is simple enough for a single extrusion 3D printer. 

Download: Ultimaker example Entourage - Vehicles.zip

• Like 1

@Alex L , fyi; just uploaded the set above!

• Like 1

@SandervG - damn, I see what you guys did there - that was a hell of a loophole - specially on the formula 1 car - compliments to the designer/s ? very smart solution!

Edited by Stefania Dinea

@SandervG thanks for the example set, as this helps demonstrate the rules applied to a scaled 3D model.

I hope to sell some content packs for Unreal/Unity this Summer, so don't be surprised if some (outside the contest) are optimised for 3D printing as well ?

@slspencer looking forward seeing your entries! And I'm happy to hear the example set was helpful. I also think they're pretty good. Depending on your choice of vehicles you want to submit, you could add some more details to your designs or leave some out. As long as it's reliable to print.

Here is another tip from our example set, in case you might miss it:

1542089705_Designfor3Dprint.thumb.png.facca8b39fda24ece345f47cb9be425e.png

If you look at the wheels, they look perfectly normal and round from the (out)side, but if you enable X-Ray view in Cura you can see that we've actually worked around the overhang by adding slopes. Just one of the possibilities to make them easier to print. 

Looking forward to the entries! ?

• Like 1

Hello All,

Here are my .stl files for the competition and this link contains 9 architect designs.

Link - https://we.tl/eMce52MSuv

Also, kindly find attached the .zip file.

I hope you all will like it. 

Thanks

Raghav

Architect Designs.zip

• Like 1

Though this is something of a segway, it can be difficult for users to find an STL file they are looking for, when they may have dozens of them on their computer.  The Marlin 3D Printer Tool includes an STL Shell extension to make this easier.

After the tool is installed, navigate to its main folder (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Marlin3DprinterTool) and run "Marlin3DprinterToolStlConfiguration.exe":

file.php?id=2220&sid=c92dbe83992585fef06

This will open the control panel shown above.  All you have to do then is click "Install and Register STL Thumbnail", which will make a thumbnail for every STL file.  Normally this will appear in colour but, if you prefer greyscale, clicking  "Color on STL" will also change this setting.

If you already use Cura or Simplify3D, Marlin's main tool is not needed, so you can just leave it out if you wish - the shell extension accounts for almost all of the installation.

Edited by slspencer

Hello,

I have attached .zip files and when you will extract this file, you will be getting .STL files also.

Will this work for you all or should I post .STL files directly.

16 minutes ago, Raghav said:

Hello,

I have attached .zip files and when you will extract this file, you will be getting .STL files also.

Will this work for you all or should I post .STL files directly.

I got them out - @SandervG? does it work for you?

Hello,

Do tell me if you need my help and having any issue with the .STL files.

Yep, I've been able to extract the STL files too, thanks @Raghav for submitting your entry! ?

I see you've also added a 3D printer stl and a house for example, I would like to highlight that for this contest we'll be only looking at vehicles. Feel free to submit more entries if you want.  If you do, keep the 'design for 3D printing' in mind. Try to reduce the number of overhangs and intricate parts, while maintaining a recognizable, appealing and perhaps functional form. 

Good luck to everyone! 

Hello,

Thanks for confirming, here are 3 more superb designs from my side.

I have to win this!!!!!

Future Automatic vehicle.stl

Monster Car.stl

Working Car.stl

Hello,

When will this round get over??

I am read for the next one!!!!???

Hi @Raghav, thank you for your enthusiasm, that is wonderful to see! 

Don't let your enthusiasm forget about some of the rules though, if you want to increase your chances of winning. 

In the rules in my first post:

'- One set should contain a minimum of 6 different models'. 

Your first entry consisted of 5 vehicles, and you've just uploaded 3 separately. I would recommend to re-pack them in 1 set and submit it to honor the rules ?

(You can edit your first post with the zip file, and replace it with a new zip file.) Thanks! 

This theme will run for a period of 3 weeks; until July 9th. 

Hello,

Sure, i will definitely follow the rules and here are 6 final files for this running round.

And where will you announce the results on 9 July,2018?

Is it fine now?

aeroplane.stl

Environment friendly Bi-Cycle.stl

f1 car.stl

Future Automatic vehicle.stl

Monster Car.stl

Working Car.stl

Edited by Raghav