Architect Design Contest | Vehicles.

SandervG

Posted · Architect Design Contest | Vehicles.

Thank you to everyone who participated in our contest! We're very happy with the entries, there are some really wonderful entourage sets in there. @Stefania Dinea and I are reviewing all submissions and we'll announce the winner later this week! 

In the meantime, the next contest will start tomorrow. The rules are the same, but if you want to get your creative juices flowing already.. the new subject is: People .

I'll update this message when the new post is up ?

• Like 1

ANNOUNCEMENT! 

First of all, I want to thank everyone who participated in this contest. Stefania and I were positively surprised by the level of the submissions, the choice of vehicles and understanding of 3D printing. 

We considered these very important elements in ranking the submissions too. In the end, we hope to make life easier for our fellow architects, and that means that the models should be easy and reliable to print and should resemble a real existing (set of) vehicles. 

Below I'll announce the winners and I'll also share our feedback towards all participants. Hopefully, it's an opportunity where you can learn something and you'll be motivated to join again in our peoples - contest. 

So who is the winner? 

@kmanstudiosCongratulations!! You win 10 reels of filament! 

What we thought of your submission: With your submission you showed that you really understand design for 3D printing, you touched on all the essential points like making your submission compatible for single extrusion, it was all properly scaled, little to no overhangs and sufficient details for this scale. You also made a good choice in which vehicles to present. These type of vehicles are often used in various architecture projects so chances that they will be put to use are considerable. You also got a bonus point for your remarkable delivery! Thank you! 

Number two....

@SarpSusuzer Congratulations!! You win 5 reels of filament!!

Our feedback: You also showed good understanding of design for 3D printing. No overhangs, simple yet recognizable. Based on real life trains and trams, and scaled equally. We also really appreciate the effort you put in making your submission modular. That way one can assemble trains/trams in the length that fits their project. Nice job and once again, congratulations! 

Runner-up:

@ultiarjan: Your submission also really shows your understanding of design for 3D printing. They are all again simple enough, which means they can easily be printed on a small scale and still be recognizable. Eventually you lost a few points on usability because these types of vehicles are not that often used in projects, the theme (warehouses and storage houses) is rather specific. 

@pardis3d: You've also uploaded a good set of vehicles, unfortunately, there were a few elements of design for 3D printing that could still be improved. You were smart enough to remove the overhang on the 'inside' of the wheels, but not on all.

wheels.thumb.jpg.953e60f045c16b9950f55b4bbea6bb5f.jpg

Besides that, on the average model are quite some overhangs which does not immediately mean a print will fail but usually don't result in the best surface quality. That is something we would rather avoid. 

That same truck on the right doesn't really have a good printing orientation. As Arjan also suggested in an earlier comment , the tank seems to be a bit wider than the bed it lays on. Another option could be to print it standing up on its backside, but then the wheels would have a lot of overhang, and that pin on top. You submitted some good models, hopefully you'll improve the overhangs and print orientation elements, and we'll see you again in the next contest! 

@Raghav: We appreciated your early submission and enthusiasm. Hopefully we'll see more of it in next contests. Why did you not win? In your submission it seemed there was not a clear theme like with some of the above. We did like that you submitted a bike, no one else did! They also had various scale sizes and some had to be assembled. Assembling a model can be a great solution to avoid some challenges you face with 3D printing, but when printing small scaled-down models an architect rather has a simple model that doesn't fail than a model that has yet to be put together. 

I'll get in touch with @kmanstudios and @SarpSusuzer regarding their prizes. Thanks again everyone for participating, and hopefully we'll see you again in our Entourage set | People contest!

• Like 6

Thanks!! >Squeal!!< I gots some plans for prints that the PLA will come in handy for. and, I do hope the models get some good use out in the wild :)

Congrats @kmanstudios looking at your great prints I'm sure you'll burn through that filament volume in no time ?  and @SandervG thanks, I had a lot of fun designing my entry.  Do think the number of participants is a bit disappointing, but that may be expected during summertime.

Hello,

Do we have to Submit people design here only?

I am thinking that the People contest will be here.

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/23705-architect-design-contest-people/

2 hours ago, Raghav said:

Hello,

Do we have to Submit people design here only?

No, please visit the new dedicated page for the People contest.