Print without an SD card

Posted · Print without an SD card

Hi. I recently got a new computer but it does not have an SD card port, which is annoying because my anet a8 printer uses SD cards. There is a function on Cura that allows me to print via usb, which I was able to do successfully; however, if I walk away too long, my computer screen will go dark and the print will pause. Is there a way to prevent this?

Hi BrandonH05,

I understand Th ultimakers are not really supposed to print via Usb, you have to use an SD card, which I find rather medieval. Buy yourself one of these little card readers https://www.allekabels.nl/usb-kaartlezer/169/1286152/usb-2.0-kaartlezer.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIptHA04nR2wIVi6oYCh0RlAR0EAQYASABEgIe1fD_BwE 

. Much more reliable. 

Ultimakers are supposed to print via USB, the SD card feature is a remnant from the past since some people prefer to do it this way. I print only via USB and never had any trouble.

@BrandonH05 I do not know how the Anet a8 printer works, does it loads the print into a memory or only use the instructions from the computer or USB card? From what you describe, I guess tehre's no internal storage on the printer to store the print file, thus it relies on instructions from your computer. So, either you disable the 'Idle after X mins' function on your computer, buy a SD card reader from your computer as suggested above, or go into your computer's settings and tell it not to pause CURA when the screen goes to idle mode. How to do it depends on your computer, you can certainly find instructions online.

Printing from an SD card is certainly not a "remnant from the past".

My printers are not next to my PC and I print on more than one printer at a time.

The SD card is essential.

Posted (edited) · Print without an SD card

My printer is on another room: I use a router and ethernet cable. And, unless I'm mistaken, UM doesn't do much support, if at all, for printing via SD card anymore. Everything is going network now, especially with Cura Connect and such. You can work on your printer farm from Cura directly, deciding whihc print goes where and such.

Edited by Brulti

8 minutes ago, Brulti said:

My printer is on another room: I use a router and ethernet cable. And, unless I'm mistaken, UM doesn't do much support, if at all, for printing via SD card anymore. Everything is going network now, especially with Cura Connect and such. You can work on your printer farm from Cura directly, deciding whihc print goes where and such.

We don't put SD slots in our newest printers anymore because an USB thumb drive is just more convenient. Printing via USB stream is something we stopped doing as it just causes way to much issues (and it would take us weeks of dev time to support it and it would only benefit non UM printers).

Regardless of whether support is provided or not, printing from SD card remains essential.

Most of the time my PC is not even on when the printer is printing.

Incidentally none of my Ultimaker printers has wifi connectivity, nor is USB printing recommended by Ultimaker for them, including for the recently purchased one.

Thanks for the info @nallath.

@prb4 My mistake, I don't print via USB but via the Ethernet cable connected to the LAN port. I typed USB but I meant LAN, my apologies for the confusion.