Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
FalmouthLouis

Can one control the air gap between lines?

In the academic literature about the strength of 3D prints, there is some debate about the importance of narrowing the air gap between the lines of filament.

I can't see anything in Cura's preferences which would allow me to control this. Am I missing something?

As a matter of interest, if one takes the default settings for printing with a .4mm nozzle, what kind of gap is there between the lines? If I reduce the width of lines, which does seem to be permitted, the gap between lines will presumably increase. What would happen if I increase the line width from the .35mm default setting nearer to .4mm? Can I assume that any air gap will be reduced?

(This is for a project, which I've mentioned elsewhere, where we will be doing tensile testing on 12-14 variants of a standardised test specimen. I'll report back on the findings when they come in)