Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jockspice

Tinker Firmware and S3D - UM2+

I updated my UM2+ with the latest Tinker firmware back in April and it has improved the machine no end. I've also been using Cura since then, getting to grips with new settings etc. However, I tried today to use S3D with my standard UM2 profile and I get an error saying the printer is trying to print outside the print area. I tried again on a more basic setting, get the same warning.

I was going back to S3D to have some more control for hot end temperatures, so I tried in Cura by changing the firmware flavour from Ultimaker 2 to Marlin, sliced in Cura and then tried to print. Same error, printing outside the print area.

Incidentally. I got the usual warning from the S3D sliced object that I was using the slicer to override the machine settings, but also got that for the Marlin slice in Cura.

Is there something really obvious I have missed?

9 hours ago, CarloK said:

Check for dirt in your SD card reader slot. Reading invalid data from the SD card is one possible reason for this type of errors.

Also read:

I'm having no problem with Cura, so it's very unlikely to be a hardware problem. 

I don't understand; in your original post you said you changed the Cura settings to use Marlin flavour and then the same error occurred. And now you say you have no problem with Cura?

Be aware that Cura 3.3 contained a bug in the UM2 machine settings for using the build plate center as origin, depending on the object location, this creates the print outside valid area error. This bug was fixed in Cura 3.4, released just a few days ago.

Usually they work properly together, the reason must be something weird on your side... 🙂

Do you get the error right in the beginning of a print or more randomly?
Candidates for differences are the machine definition and the start script, but it's hard to guess without more information...

Edited by tinkergnome

It happens right at the start. When I select the print, I get the standard "This file will override machine settings with setting from the slicer", which is nothing new, always had that with S3D sliced prints. The machine then heats up and just as it starts to move for printing, (head moves slightly out of home and back and the bed does the same) it stops and I get "ERROR: Tried printing out of printing area".

There is no pre-movement of the head before the machine heats up, like it does using Cura, it just heats up.

My starting script is as follows, never had a problem with Ultimaker firmware. I'm a Gcode biff so any advice gratefully received! 

G28 ; home all axes

G1 X20 Y10 F3000 ; bring extruder to front

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length

G1 Z10 ; lower

G1 E19 F200 ; purge nozzle quickly

G1 E26 F60 ; purge nozzle slowly

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length again

G1 E-5.5 F400 ; retract

G1 X190 Z0 F9000 ; pull away filament

G1 X210 F9000 ; wipe

G1 Y20 F9000 ; wipe

G1 E0 ; feed filament back

The start script doesn't look too bad, you can add the following two lines wherever you like, if you want to control the order of movements and heatup:

M190 S[bed0_temperature]
M109 S[extruder0_temperature] T0

If S3D doesn't detect those commands in the start script, it inserts its own right in the beginning of the file. It's well explained here:

https://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1959

My first guess was: have you checked the "Print area" setting on the printer (Advanced -> Preferences)? But gcode files from Cura would trigger the same error, so that's probably not the issue here.

Next try: please show a screenshot of your machine definition (from S3D), or double check, that the coordinate system is correct defined

(Tools -> Options -> Machine)

And/or prepare a short sample file and upload the complete gcode file here for inspection / test printing...

On 7/29/2018 at 5:40 PM, jockspice said:

Have also attached a small gcode file

I tried your file and found the reason. The cause of the error message is this line in the start script:

G1 X190 Z0 F9000 ; pull away filament

The tinker firmware doesn't like the Z=0 for some reason (perhaps because of rounding errors or something like that).

I think it's the standard from S3D (more or less), but the idea is not so good anyway, because the nozzle can scratch the build surface if you're unlucky. You can change it to Z0.1 (or even Z0.01) and it works.

In addition: you should disable the option "Blip fan to full power..." (on the cooling page). Ultimaker printers don't need this and the short pause above the printed object (with a hot nozzle) can affect the print quality.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2018 at 9:01 PM, tinkergnome said:

In addition: you should disable the option "Blip fan to full power..." (on the cooling page). Ultimaker printers don't need this and the short pause above the printed object (with a hot nozzle) can affect the print quality.

Omg! Can’t test right now, but I think you solved an headache for me.