Cura simply not working after profile creation

Patronus

Posted (edited) · Cura simply not working after profile creation

Ok maybe after trying multiple times to get an answer I will attract some attention now. I have spent a fortune on my UM3 only to be let down by Cura time and time again over the last 6 months. I can not believe that I'm the only one with this problem.

Cura works fine until I "create profile from current settings". From that moment on Cura simply becomes unusable. Print settings change randomly and I can't update them - or rather I can change them but I can't save my settings. Also my print settings change randomly when I try to create a new profile. Nylon suddenly prints at 200 for no logical reason. My retraction settings are way out. Support settings are out. Every single setting has some random and incorrect value. I have to literally go through every one of them and change them back to what they should be. But the moment I "update the profile using the current settings" they are all gone in an instant and the incorrect settings are back. Even saving a project after fixing these values doesn't help. When I load the project the wrong values are back. I'm literally losing hours and hours because of this, having to fine comb every setting before every print and correcting them all the time. Sometimes I miss one and deep into a print it causes failure.

Can someone please help me. Previously I had to uninstall and reinstall Cura to fix this. More recently Cura gave the message that my profiles are corrupted and I lost all of them, and after starting with zero profiles it was OK again. Tonight I made the mistake of creating a profile from current settings and here we are again. I simply can't keep going through this process.

I'm on the latest version of Cura.

Edited by Patronus
Typo

Posted · Cura simply not working after profile creation

To be honest, I gave up on profiles for a different reason ages ago. Now, I keep saved project files (.curaproject.3mf) since it accomplished the same thing and I can save models with that file format and it gives me an indicator of the type of model it will work well with, and does not clutter up the interface with a long huge list of things.

If you dig into the progamFiles/Ultimaker Cura 3.3/Ressources folders about the print temperature, you'll see that this type of setting for the UM3 is modified/overridden quite a lot in the definition files, quality files, material files, variant fies

Furthermore you find it also a lot in the configuration folder

It would be a miracle if the priority level between all these values was correct.

Maybe Cura is doing a mess while creating/modifiing profiles for thiese settings

A good practice would be not to put a settings  in more of 3 different priority levels. Also have between those files the same type of priority/overridding management. The mix of xml hierarchy management (like in material files, with several priority levels inside it) and the other type (like in the quality and variant files) is the best way to live a very very dangerous way

Edited by JCD
    modify the text

Thanks, it makes sense what you say JCD. The way it's all structured leaves a lot of room for confusion, both of the user and of the system itself.

What I have now seen, if I create a new profile from scratch (as opposed to saving my current settings as a new profile) and I then change the settings of this new profile then everything works fine again. I can then update the new profile without issues. The problem seems to arise, without fail, if I create a new profile using current settings.

I try the following things

Wiith UM3, Print Core AA 0.4, profile fine

1) Material generic PLA >>> Printing temp 200

2) I manually change Printing Temp to 205 without modifying/creating a profile (I think Cura put it in the current fine profile)

3) I change material to generic Nylon >>> Print temp stays at 205 (it should be 230)

That means the priority between the current profile and the material is wrong

22 minutes ago, JCD said:

I try the following things

Wiith UM3, Print Core AA 0.4, profile fine

2) I manually change Printing Temp to 205 without modifying/creating a profile (I think Cura put it in the current fine profile)

3) I change material to generic Nylon >>> Print temp stays at 205 (it should be 230)

That means the priority between the current profile and the material is wrong

And what happens when you upgrade the program?

56 minutes ago, JCD said:

When you change materials, Cura will ask you if you want to keep/transfer the modifications you made, or start with a clean profile for that material. If you keep them, the temperature will (and should) stay at the altered value.

@ aHoeben,

If I make the 3 operations I describe above, it does'nt ask anything, just keeping the values which are no longer relevant. The only information is the round arrow besides next to the parameter.

You can say that I have to create a separate profile for the material like fine_PLA distinct from fine _ABS and so on, I say that :

- You have to create a lot of profiles

- It does'nt completely secure the profile as nothing prevents you to choose fine_PLA with ABS

- what about the materials which have the same printing temperature

The best way would be that Cura silently in the background create one profile for each triple machine - layer height-material. So if the user change the print temp to 205(from 200) for PLA, and after 243 for Nylon (from 245), Cura, when the user will go back to an already done triple, will give automatically the right values the user has defined.

On 6/16/2018 at 6:12 PM, JCD said:

You can say that I have to create a separate profile for the material like fine_PLA distinct from fine _ABS and so on, I say that :

- You have to create a lot of profiles

- It does'nt completely secure the profile as nothing prevents you to choose fine_PLA with ABS

- what about the materials which have the same printing temperature

The best way would be that Cura silently in the background create one profile for each triple machine - layer height-material. So if the user change the print temp to 205(from 200) for PLA, and after 243 for Nylon (from 245), Cura, when the user will go back to an already done triple, will give automatically the right values the user has defined.

Except that won't work, because you'd be saving the *combination* of the extruders. So you won't just have a PLA, High_quality, 0.4AA profile, you'd have a PLA / PVA, High_quality, AA0.4/BB0.4 profile.

All that being said; If you can provide some logs, we could have a look at what is going wrong.

On 6/16/2018 at 9:34 AM, JCD said:

A good practice would be not to put a settings  in more of 3 different priority levels. Also have between those files the same type of priority/overridding management. The mix of xml hierarchy management (like in material files, with several priority levels inside it) and the other type (like in the quality and variant files) is the best way to live a very very dangerous way

There is a well defined priority override system;

User settings (Not saved in a profile) > Quality changes (User saved stuff to profile. This is linked to a quality type) > Quality > Material > Variant (nozzle) > Definition changes (Changes made to machine through machine settings) > Definition (machine defaults)

So by default, all your settings are stored in "User". This is also how Cura knows to display the round reset icon. If you press "discard current changes" all settings in the user slot are cleared out. If you use "create profile" all settings in the user slot are moved to quality changes and stored to file. 

Except that won't work, because you'd be saving the *combination* of the extruders. So you won't just have a PLA, High_quality, 0.4AA profile, you'd have a PLA / PVA, High_quality, AA0.4/BB0.4 profile.

Hi, Nallath,

You're right for the extruders (I'm not familiar with as I have a one extruder Anet A8 printer).

But this means that the profile is relative not to 3 parameters but 4

machine

extruder

material

layer height

My suggestion is always valuable to have Cura Silently in the background manage the profile (for instance High Quality) for each selection of the 4 parameters.  the user may eventually only have to create a new profile if he wants to try a few new settings for these 4 parameters he had choosen (example modify the retraction, temperature ... nearly 500 settings except machine, extruder,material and layer height)

1 hour ago, nallath said:

All that being said; If you can provide some logs, we could have a look at what is going wrong.

I just made the following operations before writing this answer

1) create a new printer from the custom fdm printer, not changing any parameters

2) the printer appear with generic PLA

3) modfy the setting default printing temp from 200 to 205

4) choose a different material ABS

>>>> the printing temp is 205 and not the value for ABS

19 minutes ago, JCD said:

You're right for the extruders (I'm not familiar with as I have a one extruder Anet A8 printer).

But this means that the profile is relative not to 3 parameters but 4

machine

extruder

material

layer height

My suggestion is always valuable to have Cura Silently in the background manage the profile (for instance High Quality) for each selection of the 4 parameters.  the user may eventually only have to create a new profile if he wants to try a few new settings for these 4 parameters he had choosen (example modify the retraction, temperature ... nearly 500 settings except machine, extruder,material and layer height)

A user doesn't need to create a profile if they want to try something, in that case they can just be left in the "user" category.

"Just silently manage" isn't "just". How would Cura know what the intent of a user is in every single case? That's almost impossible to build, let alone maintain.

Just now, JCD said:

I just made the following operations before writing this answer

1) create a new printer from the custom fdm printer, not changing any parameters

2) the printer appear with generic PLA

3) modfy the setting default printing temp from 200 to 205

4) choose a different material ABS

>>>> the printing temp is 205 and not the value for ABS

Because the default printing temp is stored in the quality_changes or user setting. So yeah, that makes sense. If you want to change the temperature that a material needs to be printed at, change the material.

How would Cura ever know for any setting where to leave it? What to do if a setting can depend on more than one thing? Lets take print speed for instance. High quality ABS might need a different value from High quality PLA. So if a user changes the retraction value and then switches material, what should be done? Keep the value? Discard it?

1 hour ago, nallath said:

How would Cura know what the intent of a user is in every single case?

What? It ain\t magical AI stuff under the hood?  You guys are wayyyyyy behind with the mind reading stuff!! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

What? It ain\t magical AI stuff under the hood?  You guys are wayyyyyy behind with the mind reading stuff!! ?

They can't mind read without this ...2126800833_ScreenShot2018-06-18at14_02_44.thumb.png.4aba60cc600c67f97571048a11bc5dcc.png

And yes, it works. We're able to do basic commands with robots and this.

2 hours ago, nallath said:

Because the default printing temp is stored in the quality_changes or user setting. So yeah, that makes sense. If you want to change the temperature that a material needs to be printed at, change the material.

How would Cura ever know for any setting where to leave it? What to do if a setting can depend on more than one thing? Lets take print speed for instance. High quality ABS might need a different value from High quality PLA. So if a user changes the retraction value and then switches material, what should be done? Keep the value? Discard it?

Back to the original post. Despite my material being labelled as "ABS" in materials, with a print temperature of 245 and all the correct settings for that filament, the system changes it to 200 degrees for no apparent reason. I don't use any material that prints at 200 so I'm at a loss where that comes from. So whereas the hierarchy may explain some behaviors this one remains a mystery, along with all the other settings that get scrambled once I create a new profile from current settings.

8 minutes ago, Patronus said:

Back to the original post. Despite my material being labelled as "ABS" in materials, with a print temperature of 245 and all the correct settings for that filament, the system changes it to 200 degrees for no apparent reason. I don't use any material that prints at 200 so I'm at a loss where that comes from. So whereas the hierarchy may explain some behaviors this one remains a mystery, along with all the other settings that get scrambled once I create a new profile from current settings.

If you can post a stored project where this is the case, I can figure out what is going on. I can't do that based on your descriptions alone.

3 hours ago, nallath said:

A user doesn't need to create a profile if they want to try something, in that case they can just be left in the "user" category.

"Just silently manage" isn't "just". How would Cura know what the intent of a user is in every single case? That's almost impossible to build, let alone maintain.

The way Cura store information, you have made a part of the work

In Cura/Ressources/Quality folder you have for instance for the UM3 :

The profile um3_aa0.8_CPE_Superdraft_Print.inst.cfg

um3 machine

aa0.8 nozzle for extruder1

CPE material

and superdraft has the layer height as 1st setting

We have our four parameters

Example for algorythm

A) 1)Creation of the profile

You may when a User work and change setting(s) create a user file as you say but called

um3_aa08_CPE_Superdraft_Print.inst.cfg.user

Put a date/time zone in this file date/Time_last_used, each time the userprofile is used

2)if the user save the settings and choose a profile myNewSuperdraft, save it in a quality_Changes folder with the name

um3_aa08_CPE_myNewSuperdraft.inst.cfg and do step A)1) for this new profile

3)if the user change either machine/nozzleExtruder/material/profile

return to step A)1)

and so on on day 1

B) When the User returns a few days after with

UM3, aa08, CPE , the program have to check

1) Are there files in the user folder named um3_aa08_CPE_XXXXX.inst.cfg.user

If OK, choose the profile for the file which has the last date/time_last_used, put the settings which are in the user file

If not OK that means this profile has not been used so you are like in step A)1)

C) If the user delete the profile, delete the attached files in the quality_changes and user folder (if exist)

6 minutes ago, JCD said:

Example for algorythm

A) 1)Creation of the profile

You may when a User work and change setting(s) create a user file as you say but called

um3_aa08_CPE_Superdraft_Print.inst.cfg.user

Put a date/time zone in this file date/Time_last_used, each time the userprofile is used

2)if the user save the settings and choose a profile myNewSuperdraft, save it in a quality_Changes folder with the name

um3_aa08_CPE_myNewSuperdraft.inst.cfg and do step A)1) for this new profile

Problem is, that it won't work. You'd have a UM3_AA08_AA04_CPE_PLA_Superdraft.inst.cf.user profile (as the combination of extruders needs to be stored). If you don't you get into issues if the profile for your right extruder assumes certain global settings and the left extruder assumes different ones.

This will quite quickly lead to a rather large spam of profiles (which makes it almost impossible to use properly). It's also quite confusing if you make a normal profile that enables support (which is a global only profile). As in your proposal the qualities are linked to the combination of all selection, this isn't possible anymore.

@nallath attached is a project file where this happens. Where on earth Cura gets the temperature settings for Breakaway I don't know especially after correcting it what feels like a million times by now. This is causing failed prints so I have to check all my settings every single time. Because Cura changes them with no rhyme or reason when I least expect it.

In this instance the profile "Apollo + Breakaway 0.4" was perfect until sometime last night when it must have changed itself again. This morning I see I have a failed print and guess why. The breakaway temperature is too low. I'm unable to correct and update the profile now. It just reverts back to 215, 220 and 205 which is no good. It also doesn't correspond with the temperatures in "materials".

Can somebody please look at this because it is practically rendering my UM3 useless. I don't have time to check every single setting before every single print, and currently I have to do that.

This problem occurred also with the previous version of Cura. I am at my wit's end. My laptop is new. I keep everything up to date. Rebooting or restarting doesn't help. Uninstalling and reinstalling Cura helps for a while but then it starts again.

Heater Vent.curaproject.3mf

To make it really simple to understand here is my problem in pictures.

When I load Cura with profile "Apollo X + Breakaway 0.4" I see these incorrect numbers which come seemingly from nowhere:

image.png.d15882c144fd5b0b606aa1fb2411f3d7.png

So I correct them:

image.png.fd0d840f4231c19cecbd55a3ffccf23e.png

I then do this:

image.png.800b3202ec1a67c6c859f71ae54f99d1.png

And when I click the mouse left button my temperatures instantly revert back to this:

image.png.d15882c144fd5b0b606aa1fb2411f3d7.png

How do I fix this? Exporting and re-importing profiles don't help. Only thing that worked last time was to delete my profiles and start from scratch, but that was only only a temporary fix.

Why did you change your build plate to be elliptic? That hardly makes sense.

As for your quality changes profile, Cura seems to think that the left profile doesn't have a quality changes profile (which is also why your material field turns yellow); The profile you want is simply not supported. That being said, you did find a bug.

So it's trying to put the settings into a container that simply doesn't exist, which make them go away. The reason it comes back is because you re-create the Apollo profile (which doesn't have a matching quality profile). So in your case, doing the store is the same as "discard current changes"

If you want to know what settings cura uses (and why), you can use the godmodeplugin for Cura (https://github.com/sedwards2009/cura-god-mode-plugin)

Edited by nallath

Nallath thanks for the response. I didn't change my build plate to elliptic. I guess it's one of the strange settings that appeared automatically with so many others.

I'll check out the plugin. For now I'm uninstalling every trace of Cura and re-installing it again so that I can start fresh (again).

Hi @Patronus, this custom quality profile update problem seems to be fixed in 3.4.1, could you try that? Thanks!