Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
ceramichammer

Does Ulticontroller remove the standard "print over USB" capabilites?

Sorry for the simple question but I couldn't find it on the product page or in the Wiki. Obviously the Ulticontroller gives you the ability to print off of an SD card but do you lose the ability to print directly from a computer? At our hackerspace we want to give people the option to do both but if installing the Ulticontroller keeps us from doing it the old fashioned way, I don't want to shell out $140 for it. Does anybody know?

No, it doesn't remove the capability - you can switch between either at will. You don't even need to do anything to make it happen - just send gcode over the USB, or start a print from the SD card using the ulticontroller.

(In fact there's nothing stopping you trying to do both at once, afaik - which could cause a mess).

No, it doesn't remove the capability - you can switch between either at will. You don't even need to do anything to make it happen - just send gcode over the USB, or start a print from the SD card using the ulticontroller.

(In fact there's nothing stopping you trying to do both at once, afaik - which could cause a mess).

I have full confidence someone at our space will try to do both at once so I will report back with the results.