Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
mirGantrophy

UM2 Feeder Motor runs in reverse

I have a UM2 (I think. The printer says its a UM2 but the feeder motor casing is white, not the black).

It worked fine until I updated the firmware in Cura, now when trying to feed it unwinds, and when trying to unwind it feeds.

I have tried flashing firmware for every UM2 model to see if I had the wrong one. Still nothing. I even tried https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin

and STILL nothing worked. What can I do to fix this?

To clarify, it DID work until I disassembled the feeder assembly to clean it (because the tube and the feeder motor gears/thread were just caked in it. I didn't completely take apart the extruder, I only undid the thumb screws so I could disconnect the tube for cleaning.. I am pretty sure I put everything back together correctly. The tension spring and clamping lever are in the correct spots and orientation.. But again, with all that taken off just staring at the base gear, it spins counter clockwise when trying to feed (which actually is unloading!) but clockwise when unloading (which is actually feeding!) But I spent 3 hours trying to fix this yesterday and I am really upset because the other 3 printers we have are makerbot 5th gen and are all horrible.

If the feeder casing is white instead of black, you have an Ultimaker 2+. If you accidentally put Ultimaker 2 firmware on an Ultimaker 2+, the feeder will run backwards, because the UM2 uses a knurled feeder instead of a geared one. Update your firmware and you should be all set.

Are you sure you didn't assemble the feeder backwards?  Look at pictures.

If you download tinker firmware it lets you toggle the direction of all the steppers right from the menu system.  tinker firmware is great and has all kinds of wonderful features such as "continue from failed print".   I recommend version 16.01 here as it seems to be the most stable:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases/

(scroll way way down).

No, I didn't assemble it backwards. The printer says UM2 so I flashed UM2. Turns out it is a 2+ because it was upgraded but the previous owner didn't apply the new stickers. I was told by live chat the newest version of cura "remembers" what firmware you flashed, so it was actually flashing UM2 firmware every time even when selecting um2+. Deleting the cura folder in %appdata% and selecting UM2+ firmware fixed my problem.

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that I flashed Tinker Gnome and wow am I impressed. It took some fiddling around but I was able to get the material to stick to the plate (by using glue as suggested) and fixed extrusion problems after a few test runs for layer 1 only. It's crazy how a tiny little twist of the bed screws can overdo it or make it perfect. Y'all have been an awesome help (Much more so than Makerbot, also after seeing this beauty perform I'll make sure my university never buys another Makerbot, granted 4th gen and prior or fine imo)

However, last Friday I completely reassembled the printer as per phone support suggested. I was left with one part, can anyone enlighten me on what it's to? It seems too small for everything in here.

MVIMG_20180625_122237.jpg

MVIMG_20180625_084401.jpg