Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
WillMakes

Where can I buy a UM3 BB nozzle?

Hi all,

I have a U3 extended. The BB nozzle got clogged up with the material dried inside it. Its impossible to get it out. I took the printcore apart to get to it, everything else about the print core is fine. 

I just need to replace the nozzle and I can get back printing support material. Does anyone know where I can find them? I refuse to $160 to replace the whole print core for a $2 piece of brass. 

Just to throw another wrench into this, I live in Taiwan if that matters. I asked the store where I bought it and they tried selling me the print core. Thats crazy.

Why crazy? It's standard. The Ultimaker 3 is designed for professional users who usually don't have the time to fiddle around with things so they replace the core.

As you already disassembled the core, you could also just drill out the nozzle, no?

I'm unaware of any option other than third party printcores if you want a replaceable nozzle.  I have a 3D Solex/gr5 Hardcore (AA) and the advantage of that unit is that it allows you to use a wide range of nozzle types, so you can print abrasive filaments without destroying the core.  That said, I don't have any experience with the BB hardcore, maybe others here can chime in.

Just something to consider if you do decide to go the core replacement route anyway...

J

2 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

Why crazy? It's standard. The Ultimaker 3 is designed for professional users who usually don't have the time to fiddle around with things so they replace the core.

As you already disassembled the core, you could also just drill out the nozzle, no?

Tried drilling it, got a couple mm down into it before i realized im not going to be able to get the point anyways. So I gave up, Ive had it soaking in water for a day hoping to dissolve the filament but havent seen much progress with it yet.

1 hour ago, JohnInOttawa said:

I'm unaware of any option other than third party printcores if you want a replaceable nozzle.  I have a 3D Solex/gr5 Hardcore (AA) and the advantage of that unit is that it allows you to use a wide range of nozzle types, so you can print abrasive filaments without destroying the core.  That said, I don't have any experience with the BB hardcore, maybe others here can chime in.

Just something to consider if you do decide to go the core replacement route anyway...

J

I will look into that. thanks for the tip!

You could soak it in MEK but it's dangerous stuff - leaks right through your skin so use gloves.  Personally I would burn it all out - put the nozzle in a flame and let it get to 400C (if it starts glowing red hot that's too hot and let it cool immediately as brass gets soft and you could damage the threads with pliers if it's red hot).