could not connect to package database

sk8nfool

Posted · could not connect to package database

I went to Toolbox -> Browse Packages and received the diagnostic

Could not connect to the Cura Package database. Please check your connection.

There is nothing wrong with my "[internet] connection" so I don't understand this diagnostic.

I'm using Cura 3.4.0 on Ubuntu 18.04

Hi,

I am having the same error, the terminal shows SSL errors, hope this will help solve the issue.

qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve CRYPTO_num_locks
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve CRYPTO_set_id_callback
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve CRYPTO_set_locking_callback
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve ERR_free_strings
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve EVP_CIPHER_CTX_cleanup
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_new_null
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_push
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_free
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_num
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_pop_free
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve sk_value
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSL_library_init
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSL_load_error_strings
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSL_get_ex_new_index
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_client_method
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv3_client_method
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv23_client_method
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv2_server_method
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv3_server_method
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLv23_server_method
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve X509_STORE_CTX_get_chain
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms_noconf
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve OPENSSL_add_all_algorithms_conf
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLeay
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot resolve SSLeay_version
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function CRYPTO_num_locks
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function CRYPTO_set_id_callback
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function CRYPTO_set_locking_callback
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function SSL_library_init
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function SSLv23_client_method
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function sk_num
    qt.network.ssl: QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function SSLv23_client_method

Posted (edited) · could not connect to package database

Looks like at least 2 of us have this problem. Unfortunately there is a lot of confusion about which version is causing this problem. I am currently using Cura 3.1.0 - this error occurred when I tried Cura-3.4.0.AppImage which I picked up at https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software.

I think the multiple forks are what's causing the problem.

Edited by sk8nfool
    found where I picked up the appimage

I had already mentioned the problem here for the 3.4 beta, unfortunately so far without result ...

2 minutes ago, sk8nfool said:

Unfortunately there is a lot of confusion about which version is causing this problem

As far as I know, this problem starts with the 3.4 version, where they changed the plugins download handling.

Ah - so you did - your post was lost in one of my searches for "cura AND connect" - I will wait for 3.4 to appear in the PPA.

I'm running Cura 3.4, using the AppPackage under Ubuntu Linux.  I'm having the issue too.  I can provide any log files, system info and such that are requested. 

i am running 3.4 on windows 10 pro x64 same problem.

There is another problem, 3.4 and 3.3 does not show webcam image from OctoPrint in the monitor tab, 3.2 does...

55 minutes ago, komarto said:

There is another problem, 3.4 and 3.3 does not show webcam image from OctoPrint in the monitor tab, 3.2 does...

That was fixed with the latest version of OctoPrintPlugin, which is available through... the Toolbox

Fortunately you can also download the curapackage directly, and drop it into the Cura window

https://api.ultimaker.com/cura-packages/v1/cura/v4/packages/OctoPrintPlugin/download

just fired up the 3.4.0 appimage on my Ubuntu 18.04 system and it worked so something is less broken.

Pretty much every AppImage build of Cura I've ever tried on my Linux desktop (Fedora) segfaults on anything involving networking, usually spewing these exact errors to the console in the process. Just tried again with 3.4.0, same issue.

I've kinda given up getting it usefully functional on Linux, and just dig out a Mac or Windows machine whenever I want to print something.

Same problem here. Cura 3.4.1 AppImage on Ubuntu 18.04...

... and that means, I can not use the coolest feature ever... the settings backup...

This is really the baddest joke until now in 2018!!!

You can download the cloud-based settings backup here:

https://api.ultimaker.com/cura-packages/v1/cura/v4/packages/CuraDrive/download

Drop the resulting file into the Cura window and restart Cura. It could be interesting to know if the plugin works even if the Toolbox does not.

4 hours ago, ahoeben said:

You can download the cloud-based settings backup here:

https://api.ultimaker.com/cura-packages/v1/cura/v4/packages/CuraDrive/download

Drop the resulting file into the Cura window and restart Cura. It could be interesting to know if the plugin works even if the Toolbox does not.

Thanks a lot for the link. Hmm... yes it works, but... I can not sign in... so it does not work... I'm not sure...

I have two Ubuntu 18.04 systems: an Asus-X551M and a Dell-N7010. Cura-3.4.0.AppImage "Toolbox->Browse" packages works on the Dell but not the Asus. The same for Cura-3.4.1.AppImage. Very weird.

Edited by sk8nfool
    minor punctuation error

On 7/11/2018 at 1:30 PM, UbuntuBirdy said:

Thanks a lot for the link. Hmm... yes it works, but... I can not sign in... so it does not work... I'm not sure...

If you run the appimage with sudo, the backup will work, but not the plugin manager.

Running a user app with sudo is a big security risk, especially as this is a program that connects to the internet. 

I really love that Utilimaker makes this software available, particularly on Linux, but it really needs to be properly fixed by Utilimaker.

Does anyone who works for Utilimaker frequent the forums?  If so, is there any plan at all to address this major issue?  I'd rather not move to other slicing software, but it's starting to look like I may need to do just that.  ?

I have same problem, cannot retrieve plugins and install octoprint on 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 because of missing ssl libraries, Ubuntu 18 here.

UPD: I was too fast to post, doing sudo apt install libssl1.0-dev solved my issue.

Edited by Denys
    • Thanks 1

Denys, You rock! it works.

Nice workaround!  Thank you.  It caused a paper conflict with CQRLog (Amateur Radio logging s/w that I use).  The new lib works fine with CQRLog, but the package didn't know it, so I edited the .deb package for CQRLog, reinstalled it, and then I could use the libssl1.0-dev. 

Really, Utilimaker should be including that library in the package as that's kinda the point of appimage: That it doesn't rely on external libraries.  This is a product issue and should be fixed by their release / packaging engineers.

I had the same issue with 3.4.1, no plugins. I was running 3.3.1 to avoid this issue.

Doing sudo apt install libssl1.0-dev solved my issue ---- THANKS Denys !!!!