Cura Crashing on Gcode Save

Wcj97

Posted · Cura Crashing on Gcode Save

Cura has always crashed on me when I attempt to make any settings/profile changes. It didn't used to be a big deal, but recently when I built my custom printer, I created a custom profile for it in Cura so I could slice files for it there. I wasn't even able to use Cura on my computer (Worked fine on my other desktop) to slice for the printer because it would crash anytime I tried to make any setting changes. I contacted my laptop's manufacturer and they suggested I install new drivers for my built in graphics card. That seemed to work. I was now able to slice and edit my slicer/printer settings without a problem. When I hit "save to file", however, Cura crashed. I tried again, and same thing. The weird thing is, it actually writes and saves the gcode - just not all of it. After I hit save to file, Cura immediately seizes and stops working. I can find the saved gcode file and look at it, however. Everything looks fine, until the very end. Cura writes the last line of actual gcode, and then just gives up. It doesn't add the "end gcode", so when the print finishes, my printer just stops moving at the last line of code. It doesn't return to home, it doesn't turn off the hot end or fans, it just stops. This is really frustrating because it means I have to manually add that code, or I have to monitor my printer. It also means I have to reboot Cura if I want to reslice or slice something else.

Any ideas what may be wrong?

I should note that Cura freezes/crashes on me when I try to make setting changes to my printer, save gcode, or change the visibility on slicing settings. It happens no matter which printer profile I select, but especially when I select my "Custom FDM Printer" ("Hephaestus"). Also, if I save directly to my other printer's SD card there's no crash - only if I try to save direct to file.

I can't find anything obvious in the logs what could be causing this. There also isn't really a difference between saving to SD directly or you computer, just that it shows a nice popup to safely remove if you save to SD.

Is there anything/anywhere else I can check for crash data?