Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
KingRidley

Support towers fail to make contact with model

I'm pretty new to the 3D printing scene, and so far Cura has been a really great tool. But I've had a weird phenomenon on two of my recent prints involving overhangs and support towers. For some reason, support towers will occasionally fail to touch the model I'm printing. This creates areas where my printer will try to print part of a model in midair, with nothing below it or around it. As you can imagine, it's pretty frustrating.

Here's a picture of the problem in cura:

https://imgur.com/WdTbOAG

Notice the areas in the red circles are aligned, as are the areas in orange.

https://imgur.com/WysBACp

When looking at the layer view, you can see that the support tower is not touching the area that will now be printed in empty space. 

Does anyone know how I can fix that? Thank you!

Screenshot 2018-07-07 23.43.16.png

Screenshot 2018-07-07 23.43.33.png

Unfortunately, that was just a regular .3MF file. You have to use the "Save Project" choice for me to see all you settings. I am on a UM3E and it will not show your machine or options. But if you save using the "Save Project" it saves all the settings, your machine as well as any other issues. It will produce a '.curaproject.3mf" file. Not just a plain old .4mf.

That was just right....I am the baby bear 🙂 That project file format saves everything and it allowed me to open it as if it were on your system. I do not have a mini price, but it gave me the machine. Very important. Thanks!!

Now:

MSMV2E3D_DolNoxus_fixed_Fixed.thumb.jpg.ba8d75391fb603ce0c834bf259d73000.jpg

What did I do different? I rotated it. That is all. Sometimes, the spacing on the support does not align with the model precise enough that it will mate up just right. I have found it useful to just do odd things like this to check out stuff.

But, open this file up: MSMV2E3D_DolNoxus_fixed_Fixed.curaproject.3mf

And let me know if your results are the same. It should be.

The good news? You did nothing wrong. 🙂

It looks like that version works on my system, but I'm playing with the rotation tool and it does seem to be pretty dependent on luck with the spacing. For now, rotating it looks like it'll work. 

Is there any way to tell Cura "Hey, put a support in this exact spot"?

Thank you for looking at that though!