Empty Spool Weight

cdrose

Posted (edited) · Empty Spool Weight

Hi everyone,

Figured I would make a thread of a list of empty spool weights that can be updated as we collect them, if you so desire.

Post a picture as evidence and round up to the closest 5g ?

• ColorFabb
    • 750g Spool = 257g
  • Fillamentum
  • MatterHackers
  • RigidInk
  • Ultimaker
    • 750g Spool = 235g

I did do a search and haven't found a thread like this so apolagise if I missed it.

Thanks!

Ultimaker 750g - 235g.jpg

Edited by cdrose

• 2 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Empty Spool Weight

great. thanks for this.  i was searching for the tare weight of an ultimaker spool so that i could determine if my print would finish with the remaining filament i had on the spool.

question for the community:

does anyone else practice this technique with success?  what is your experience?  i noticed cura estimates the material usage (give both a length and weight).  how accurate is that?  is it good enough to approximate and run a print with this info?  thanks.

Edited by tmcolby

Posted · Empty Spool Weight

Several months ago there was a survey on which materials people used most. If I remember well, empty spool weight was one of the many items in the list? Other items were spool dimensions, etc. Maybe you could find additional info there, if you can find it back?

Concerning estimations of remaning material: I use the Cura-estimation as guide, and then just add some spare. Usually I manually unwind and straighten a bit of filament (the UM2 is sensitive to too much friction in the feeder traject), and since my prints rarely use more than 3 meters per print, this gives a good idea if I have enough.

• 2 weeks later...
    On 9/21/2018 at 1:54 AM, tmcolby said:

how accurate is that?

I'm mainly using S3D and I weighed an print today that S3D estimated to 227.49 grams, it actually weighed 224.x grams. And of course you need to fill in the correct data in your program. I use the data provided by filament manufacturer and it usually works very good.

Weighed an empty 750gr spool from ColorFabb today: 254-257 grams, I really didn't take a photo of this, but I can surely do if prompted.

My was manufactured sometime this year and had nGen on it, maybe they changed spools or it differs between different filaments?

Or my scale is off, thats possible but not likely by 20 grams.

I unwinded remaining filament to weigh spool and have put filament back to spool, will re weigh on different scales tomorrow.

3 hours ago, TMicke said:

Weighed an empty 750gr spool from ColorFabb today: 254-257 grams, I really didn't take a photo of this, but I can surely do if prompted.

Colorfabb uses different spools, all dimensions and weights are stated in their FAQ:

https://support.colorfabb.com/support/solutions/articles/13000003167-what-is-the-size-of-the-spools-

In conjunction with the known weight (and length of filament) of a full spool one can calculate the remaining length quite accurate as a function of the weight.

https://support.colorfabb.com/support/solutions/articles/13000000067-what-is-the-length-of-filament-on-your-spools-

7 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

Colorfabb uses different spools,

Yes? Not sure I understand. 

Yes! ?

The remark refers to this:

On 9/29/2018 at 5:57 PM, TMicke said:

Or my scale is off, thats possible but not likely by 20 grams.

Your scale is probably fine. Empty spools from Colorfabb have a different weight (255g) than spools from Ultimaker (apparently 235g)... that's all.

Haha, crap. I should pay more attention. I read ColorFabb and Ultimaker as the same ?

Cheers