Disable Automatic active bed levelling for Ultimaker S5

Abdu

Posted · Disable Automatic active bed levelling for Ultimaker S5

Thank you for the reply SandervG.

The specimens have different layers heights , different speed prints...
Maybe there is a way to have a "Sequential print" . To bundle the files into one Gcode that print them all.

Then the machine could ask me to remove "Part1" and click resume, When part 2 is done , machine displays "Remove Part 2" and asks to resume... Could this be a feature.

Thank you dxp.

One at a time is a great feature i did not know about it. Now i can print 4 specimens together.

I have to keep large space between them.

I wish i could do more.

So what about that "Sequential" suggestion ?

• 2 months later...

Abdu!

i had the same problem and just fixed it!

manually move the print head to the front corner, then

manually move the print head from left to right, and see if it is moving from front to back too... when i moved it from left to right it went front the front edge to about half an inch away from front edge.  I could now actually see the rod that it travels on wasn’t totally perpendicular.   Moved the print head back to the front left corner, and now force the bar on the other side forward or backward so that the bar is perpendicular.  The gear will fight you a little but slide into its orthogonal home.

i believe this became misaligned cuz when i unpackaged the printer and turned it on I missed cutting some shipping ties... i heard it grinding and realized i needed to cut those ties but it had become a little crooked... it wasn’t until i did a big print that i realized my rectangles were parallelograms!

hope this helps!

captainAl

• 2 months later...
    On 7/11/2018 at 11:24 AM, SandervG said:

Hi Abdu,

thank you for your message. It's not possible to disable the auto leveling, because of the size of the build plate in the Ultimaker S5, doing a manual level is very difficult and the risks are bigger. That is why it can not be turned off. But obviously, it should not result in your prints over or under extrude. Can you explain a little bit more what happens, and do you possibly have any photo's to illustrate?

Thank you!

This printer is amazing. But it would be intelligent to skip bedprobing between small jobs (or if a job was cancelled) to save some time. Once the bed is probed one should think it would stay calibrated. So I vote for a keep calibrated (skip probing) option

• Like 3

I tend to disagree.

If you really want to save time, you use more than one glass plate so you can quickly swap the plate after a print is finished and do not have to wait until it is fully cooled down and removed. The differences between glass plates are large enough to make a new active leveling necessary for getting a good first layer.

Posted (edited) · Disable Automatic active bed levelling for Ultimaker S5

to put this option would be very practical, know that a lot of people will like.
    we have a machine that is worth a certain price and we can not even do things like on the link while printers can cost the bottom .... this is a little frustrating
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2AjyowXX4
    that will avoid many worries for certain with a simple option which one activates or not according to the goodwill of the customer, without playing on the guarantee

Edited by guillaumedb
    • Like 1

Okay so here's how to disable active leveling on S3 or S5.   But keep in mind that

1) This is not an approved operation by Ultimaker.  If you are going to call customer service about something, put it back the way it was or install the latest firmware first.

2) You shouldn't do it if you are a beginner regarding unix/linux.

3) You can "brick" your machine if you make a typo (like delete a semicolon or comma).  Unbricking requires a 4GB uSD card and an email to your reseller and special screw driver if you have the S5R1 (to get bottom cover off).

4) Every time you update your firmware you will lose your edits and have to do them again.

5) On the other hand many people have done this and it went fine.

Before you start I recommend you order a 4-32GB uSD card and an Olimex-serial-cable-F in case you brick your machine.  Either of these tools will allow quick recovery without having to wait a day or more for one of these to arrive.

I probably scared you by now but really - it's not so bad.  First you need so ssh to your printer and to do that you need it in developer mode - it's in the menus on the printer. Your machine needs to be on your network (wifi or ethernet) if it isn't already. Once it's on the network it will show the IP address at the top of the main screen.

Next you need ssh which is built into linux and Macintosh terminal but not windows. For windows I recommend putty:
    https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html

In putty you don't type the "ssh" part but just put the root@111.222.333.444 part and click "open".

ssh root@1.2.3.4 (don't enter 1.2.3.4 - enter the ip address listed on your S3/S5)
    username/password:
    root/ultimaker

Edit the file alignZAxisProcedure.py
    in
    /usr/share/griffin/griffin/printer/procedures/pre_and_post_print/auto_bed_level_adjust
    In line 49 there is the magic:

self.__probing_mode = ProbeMode.DETAILED

Change to:

self.__probing_mode = ProbeMode.NEVER

Common editors to edit text files in linux are: vi, emacs, nano.  vi has quite the learning curve even just to change on word in the file.  Use nano if the printer has it:

cd /usr/share/griffin/griffin/printer/procedures/pre_and_post_print/auto_bed_level_adjust

nano alignZAxisProcedure.py

exit nano with Ctrl+X and follow directions for saving (or not saving if you messed things up.

After editing restart griffin.  Make sure it successfully is working befor exiting ssh because if griffin doesn't start your machine is bricked yet you have a window while you are still running ssh (when you reboot the printer, if griffin fails to start, it doesn't start ssh so the printer is bricked).

systemctl restart griffin.printer

systemctl status griffin.printer

The second command checks the status of griffin after it restarts.  Again - if you have one misplaced character, griffin won't restart and you need to repair your edit before power cycling.  If you power cycle and griffin won't start you can't ssh in again to fix the problem and you need to follow the unbricking procedure which can take hours if you haven't done it before and days if you don't have the needed parts.

• Like 3

On 8/19/2021 at 7:13 PM, gr5 said:

The second command checks the status of griffin after it restarts.  Again - if you have one misplaced character, griffin won't restart and you need to repair your edit before power cycling.  If you power cycle and griffin won't start you can't ssh in again to fix the problem and you need to follow the unbricking procedure which can take hours if you haven't done it before and days if you don't have the needed parts.

A good practice in my opinion is to permanently enable the SSH daemon at startup, then the chances are very low to brick the printer when you have misplaced something in the file. 

For older firmware versions < v6.0 do:

systemctl enable dropbear

For the newer ones > v6.0:

systemctl enable ssh

Keep in mind that you need to disable SSH also manually if you want to turn it off. Disabling the developer mode doesn't turn it off anymore.

• Thanks 1

And for users not very familiar with Linux and to edit a file, there is a much easier way. Just SSH into the printer and copy & paste the following one-liner to the command prompt and hit enter. After the service has restarted you can logout of the printer. No restart needed.

Disable Active Leveling:

sed -i 's/self.__probing_mode = ProbeMode.DETAILED/self.__probing_mode = ProbeMode.NEVER/g' /usr/share/griffin/griffin/printer/procedures/pre_and_post_print/auto_bed_level_adjust/alignZAxisProcedure.py && systemctl restart griffin.printer

Enable Active Leveling:

sed -i 's/self.__probing_mode = ProbeMode.NEVER/self.__probing_mode = ProbeMode.DETAILED/g' /usr/share/griffin/griffin/printer/procedures/pre_and_post_print/auto_bed_level_adjust/alignZAxisProcedure.py && systemctl restart griffin.printer

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Disable Automatic active bed levelling for Ultimaker S5

how about just change when the nozzles heat up during the auto-leveling procedure?

I really want to have the nozzles cold during leveling and have them heat up afterwards.

I know it saves some times to have leveling and heating. but... i'm okay with it taking a little longer. 

Edited by kayakbabe

It is not only a question about saving time, but you get inaccurate measurements when you don't heat up the nozzles. First a hot nozzle is important that some filament residue on the nozzle tip doesn't impact the measured distance and second the brass nozzle will slightly change its dimensions between cold and hot, so it makes no sense to measure the distance with a cold nozzle, when it is different after heat up.

But I understand why some users want to do it with a cold nozzle, to not destroy their Buildtak sheets. In case of such a Buildtak sheet setup, a precise measurement is obsolete in any way, so you can look and search for the part in the code if you want. I haven't checked it yet, only looked for a possibility to turn active leveling off, because my sensor is broken and I didn't want to buy a new one. 

But in any case, I would like to warn again against making changes in the firmware files unless you know exactly what you are doing. The firmware is also not open source and relatively complex, so the chances are high that you destroy something and get unwanted side effects.

Leveling with a cold nozzle is going to cause a failed print 99% of the time because there is almost always at least 0.3mm of filament sticking out the tip which will make leveling too high by 0.3mm so the bottom layer won't stick at all.

"Leveling with a cold nozzle is going to cause a failed print 99% of the time because there is almost always at least 0.3mm of filament sticking out the tip which will make leveling too high by 0.3mm so the bottom layer won't stick at all."

that makes sense

I would suggest to use an universal tool allowing not only disabling of active leveling but also something more. I have just tried and it is working

• Like 1