UM2(+) known bugs?

CarloK

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited) · UM2(+) known bugs?
On 8/13/2018 at 11:30 AM, CarloK said:

4 weeks have passed and no replies.... Everybody is happy with the UM2(+) as it is?

Here are a few things that will be in the oncoming release:

Copied stepper module fixes from UM3 / Open source Marlin project:

These fixes solve the problem where during fast movements you sometimes heard a loud tick sound like some mechanical hiccup was occurring.

- Fix: the multiply routine could have an overflow, solved by adding a 24x32-bit routine
- Fix: ensure the stepper interrupt triggers immediately again when it takes too long.

Improve material import:

- Fix: a material name length of 8 would crash the printer. Now consistently allow a length of 8 characters everywhere.

- Fix: illegal values for the material retraction-length and retraction-speed are now set to default values.

- Change: Improve error handling for very large positive or negative numbers.

Other changes:

- New: added Tough PLA (TPLA) material profile.

- Fix: retract at end of print. Contributed by TinkerGnome.

- Fix: another bug with retraction at end of print. If we were already retracted (G10), then we were retracting too much.

- Fix: M117 was missing a character when printing via USB. Cherry-picked from UMO repository. Contributed by AmedeeBulle

- Change: Changing material during a print is made 15 to 30 seconds faster by removing an unneeded filament heat-up (the filament is already hot).

- Change: several menu's where the only option was to 'Click for return' now have the focus set to this button. This removes the need to first rotate the button and results in faster user experience.

PLEASE REPORT PROBLEMS!!!!

In the forums I see people complaining about no new firmware releases coming out, but when no problems are reported then we can't fix them.

Report your problem at github or post it here, then I'll add it to github.

Hi @CarloK,

I have just updated to this version (3.3), and not seeing the TPLA profile, and also still see the behaviour when you change material that the feeder still pushes forward and grinding the filament before retracting back out for the change ?, has the new Firmware not uploaded corrected into Cura 3.5 ?

this doesn't seem to be fixed either

At GitHub there is for the UM2+ only 1 reported issue:

- A problem with filament grinding after material change.

Thanks

Edited by Link

Posted · UM2(+) known bugs?

Hi @CarloK, I have performed factory resets and flashed the firmware again and still 3.3 has the issue with grinding on material change. Also I do not see TPLA in the material profile. It looks like PP has been added as a material but not TPLA. Has the wrong firmware version made it into 3.5 ?

Well, if the delivered firmware is still version 3.3 it is very likely that the latest firmware changes did not made it into the 3.5 release of Cura.

Some more research: according to the included list of commit-ids the last change for the delivered firmware was made in march, TPLA was added in June to the source repository...

I guess, you have to wait a little bit longer for a new firmware release?

Besides that: the only relevant change regarding the material change wizard is a new comment that explains why the material is pushed forward right before pulling it back:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/blob/UM2.1_JarJar/Marlin/UltiLCD2_menu_material.cpp#L152

39 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

Well, if the delivered firmware is still version 3.3 it is very likely that the latest firmware changes did not made it into the 3.5 release of Cura.

Some more research: according to the included list of commit-ids the last change for the delivered firmware was made in march, TPLA was added in June to the source repository...

I guess, you have to wait a little bit longer for a new firmware release?

Besides that: the only relevant change regarding the material change wizard is a new comment that explains why the material is pushed forward right before pulling it back:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/blob/UM2.1_JarJar/Marlin/UltiLCD2_menu_material.cpp#L152

Thanks @tinkergnome appreciate your time, how are ahead is your firmware ?, are you based on 3.3 ?, I have not tired your version yet, do you generally patch up to the head revision from Ultimaker when they make a release ?

Thanks

3 hours ago, Link said:

do you generally patch up to the head revision from Ultimaker when they make a release ?

no, not in general. Usually I only "adopt" changes if i consider them as useful or if they are important for stability.

Longer explanation:
    In fact I'm merging the latest sources of the UM2.1-Firmware into the tinker repository at the moment, but don't hold your breath...
    My printer was converted into a Mark2 (magnetic tool-changer), so that's the only firmware branch that i use and test myself. In addition: i usually don't care about the material settings on the printer, because i don't use the Ultimaker gcode-flavor anymore.

IMHO it's not very useful to publish new "Tinker"-releases that are not tested at all, so it's unlikely that this will happen anytime soon...

Tinker-Version 17.10 already contains the stepper module fixes and the retraction bugfixes, but no new materials. Oh, and the material change wizard doesn't do the "push forward" step... ?).

Thanks for the explanation, tbh I am not after the material profiles, I mentioned those in this follow up to Carlo as it was a chance he said was in, so was mentioning it was missing for his info really ?

The 3.3 version FW seems to print well and the steppers actually seem quieter, is that a change gone in ?. Does 17.10 cover all this sort of stuff fron 3.3 ;). 

Many thanks 

I'm sorry to say the changes to the UM2(+) didn't make it into Cura 3.5.  ?

Because our testing department had to give focus to other projects they didn't have time to test a new UM2 firmware. I can't say when it will be released since I don't want to make new promises I can't live up to.

What will help in getting more confidence in firmware quality is when more people are testing it. Here is a link to an early beta version: https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/tree/UM2.1_JarJar/releases/beta

Please note that this version didn't get a lot of testing yet, so when you find issues, please post them here and I can fix them.

On 10/7/2018 at 10:48 PM, CarloK said:

I'm sorry to say the changes to the UM2(+) didn't make it into Cura 3.5.  ?

Because our testing department had to give focus to other projects they didn't have time to test a new UM2 firmware. I can't say when it will be released since I don't want to make new promises I can't live up to.

What will help in getting more confidence in firmware quality is when more people are testing it. Here is a link to an early beta version: https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware/tree/UM2.1_JarJar/releases/beta

Please note that this version didn't get a lot of testing yet, so when you find issues, please post them here and I can fix them.

Hi @CarloK any news on the official release following testing ?, unfortunately I am not really in a position to run beta firmware as I leave prints unattended and don't feel too comfortable leaving it running on beta firmware for obvious reasons.

many thanks

We only want to do an UM2(+) release when it is thoroughly tested, for the same reason that you don't want to run a beta version.

Internally testing the UM2(+) software turns out to be a practical problem since we don't have a lot of those machines in the office, every developer has a UM3 or S5, so these machines are not tested in normal work. Also the System Test department did the last UM2 test a year ago.

The Cura beta cycles are too short to get a good feedback on the firmware quality. I'll start a topic for a public beta test and see if that gives good response.

13 hours ago, CarloK said:

We only want to do an UM2(+) release when it is thoroughly tested, for the same reason that you don't want to run a beta version.

Internally testing the UM2(+) software turns out to be a practical problem since we don't have a lot of those machines in the office, every developer has a UM3 or S5, so these machines are not tested in normal work. Also the System Test department did the last UM2 test a year ago.

The Cura beta cycles are too short to get a good feedback on the firmware quality. I'll start a topic for a public beta test and see if that gives good response.

interesting, I would have assumed that the 2+ was the biggest seller still for UM, but guess the other two models are considered newer and maybe need more tuning as the 2+ could be considered optimised.

I managed to get the Tinker build working as it was rebased and have managed to change the few things I wanted (heater PID, default retraction etc for the 2+), so I am really happy  with what I have now. I am looking to add a cold pull feature and maybe look into how your 2+ code reads retraction from the SD card and include that into the Tinker branch. 

Thanks for your help, I will obviously help with the Beta when I can (when I can supervise the print), let me know if I can assist in anyway.

Cheers