Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Julian2801

Official Ultimaker HEPA filter for ultra fine particles?

Hello Ultimaker Community,

As recent studies have shown, 3D Printing emits UFPs (ultra fine particles) that could potentially harm you (higher risk of lung cancer, asthma and so on). 

Will there be official Ultimaker add-ons for providing a HEPA filter, that is capable of filtering those UFPS like Zortrax did recently?

Greetings,

Julian

Sources:

https://3dprinterchat.com/2017/07/ultrafine-particles-from-3d-printers/

https://zortrax.com/blog/hepa-cover-improves-printroom-safety/

Edited by Julian2801

IMHO I dont think UM will release an official HEPA filter. For one there are multiple warnings in there material datasheet and how to use the printer like proper ventilation. Second there are alternative enclosure that have it but to be honest most HEPA filter accessible to consumers are not rated for UFPs, maybe some material with lower particles/cm3 but ABS is pretty up high in the scale. As an end user you are free to use what you think works for you with the variety of aftermarket and the DIY community.

Having said that I personally have a 3rd party enclosure with HEPA filter for my UM3 but in no way I think thats its enough, I still follow all the precaution given by UM but sometimes I still fail to follow specially printing in the same room 😄 I make sure its pretty ventilated. Tho I seldom print ABS or Nylon. I also have another printer that semi-enclosed but air is exhaust at the back.