Picture of installed BB printcore Ultimaker 3 extended

OliverO

Posted · Picture of installed BB printcore Ultimaker 3 extended

Hello, we recently changed the BB printcore. While removing the old one, a spring appeared from the top which is directly in the way of mounting. The spring can be pushed upwards with the lever and then with releasing the lever the printcore can be mounted the way that the spring pushes on top of it. But if I see videos changing the BB printcore, it's much easier and without using the lever.

Could anyone post a photo which shows the top of the BB printcore installed? Or give me a hint, what to do with this spring?

Greetings and have a good evening!

Oliver

OK I found a picture of a print heat with an empty BB print core slot on this website:

https://fbrc8.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/218370103-How-to-Pack-Your-Ultimaker-3

There I can't see any spring on the upper part. I will post a photo of our situation and try to get that spring somehow placed to where it should belong.

I would be happy for any hint about this issue!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Oliver

print_head_Ultimaker_IMG_8255.JPG

Hi @OliverO and welcome to the boards. Though I do not have a pic about your issue, I did notice the tape.

Did something happen to the fan bracket? I ask because the tape you are using covers a lot of the surface and prevents a lot of airflow over through the nozzles.

If you are looking for something to help hold it in place until you can get it to do so on its own, take a look at this:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2688672

I bent mine a bit out of shape a while back and it required something to help. I hope you can find this useful if you are having issues with the fan guard not staying in place.

And, @fbrc8-erin has always had amazing  stuff to offer. I would definitely go looking through their website for all sorts of goodies to learn.

@kmanstudios: many thanks for the nice welcome and your message! And sorry for the misleading photo. The photo that I posted above doesn't show our device but it is the photo that I found in the fbr8.zendesk link about packing the device for shipping.

In the meantime I found another thread that might help to figure out the correct assembly of the head with the spring:

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/19408-um-3-head-assembly/?tab=comments#comment-19373

erin? sounds like the department I'm working in ;-)

I am very glad you found good info! I totally forgot about that thread,,,,and I participated....sigh...getting old is loads of fun. ?

If the spring has come out of the top part of the printhead, it's definitely going to need to be reassembled (it might need a new spring, but often just reassembling it does the trick--there's several moving parts that make up the lifting switch).

Good morning Erin and Kmanstudios and thank you for all the replies!

We are just starting to gain experience with the Ultimaker and I'm happy to find such a good knowledge base in this forum.

I'm going to post the way of solving the issue...hopefully in an understandable way.

Greetings from Europe!

Oliver

OK...we reassembled the spring with the moving parts and thanks to the support documentation of Erin you can find here, it's very easy to remove the printhead and disassemble everything. The spring fit very well in its original position and with a little care it was easy to reassemble everything again. It might be of advantage, if you have a helping hand doing this ?

Below you find the pictures of our manipulation.

Now, there is another issue, because the brand-new BB printcore is not recognised by the device. If we place another AA printcore, then it works...but it should be a BB of course...we'll try to figure out how to solve this.

01_Ultimaker3_printhead_spring_coming_out_20180726_095313.jpg

02_Ultimaker3_printhead_parts_BB_printcore_nozzle_movement_20180726_100509.jpg

03_Ultimaker3_printhead_spring_in_correct_position_20180726_100541.jpg

04_Ultimaker3_printhead_upper_lid_housing_20180726_100519.jpg

05_Ultimaker3_printhead_spring_parts_reaasembled_view2__20180726_101513.jpg

06_Ultimaker3_printhead_spring_parts_reassembled_20180726_101503.jpg

07_Ultimaker3_printhead_with_printcores_20180726_101915.jpg

Try to clean the contacts on both the inner area where the core slots into as well as the BB core contacts. Use 99% pure Isopropyl Alcohol and a clean swab.

See if that makes a difference.The BB core may have just gotten some oils or dirt on it. Cleaning the slot is just precautionary.

Hello and thanks for the suggestion!

We unpacked the new BB core and it looks very clean. I can try cleaning it, but I don't think it will make a difference...see if I can find some 99% alcohol in the labs.

I don't see any visible damage to the PCB board at the back (sometimes during disassembly for cleaning after a flood I've seen the contacts at the board become damaged). One thing I do notice in the photo--it definitely looks like you need a new silicone nozzle cover.

• Like 1

Good morning Erin,

yes, in fact the PCB board seems to work, because if I install another printcore, this is recognised without any problem.

We are thinking about have a little stock of replacement parts (like nozzle covers, springs, printcores) and a second device in order to have a back-up available during maintenance and repair periods.

Greetings from Luxembourg!

Oliver

Spares are always good to have on hand. ?

• Like 2