Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
TMicke

Weather resistance of Bronzefill

Probably like other PLA? Maybe a little bit longer if the bronzefill would be less transparent to UV light than plain light coloured PLA? So, expect it to get a bit duller, harder, and brittle in a year time. But it shouldn't crumble apart (or maybe after several years?). The worst might be the heat: the models could deform severely in summer, especially if it is a summer like we have this year in Europe, really nice and warm.

I would suggest that you just try it, and give feedback. This would be a very interesting experiment.

When it comes to weather resistance, I really had a very good experience with ApolloX material (Formfutura). It's not available in that many colors (no bronze 😞 ) but in terms of weather resistance it's great. I had to print some adaptor for my video doorbell which can get heavy sun / rain / ... I first printed it with regular PLA but that didn't last for 2 weeks due to the heat. With ApolloX it's been there now for more than a year and I can say it still looks just like it was day 1.

• Like 1

The surface looks pretty much like PLA although printing is not exactly as easy as PLA, although would say it's easier than ABS. I did experience little warping (used adhesive spray), although not that much. The object is pretty straight so not sure how overhangs / more complex parts would go. I printed with a printing temp of 240°, build plate temp of 90° and print speed of 60mm/s. Added some pictures of the print (you might see a crack in it which has been there from the start, some screw was little too big for the hole but felt it was still ok and not worth reprinting).

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Yeah, you can do it your self, I put some printed PLA in the garden last year but we bought a new house and moved this spring so I have to do it all over again 🙂 

If the manufacturers of filaments had/showed this data it would be an good starting point though.