Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Hey, it has 5 3D printed parts, so I can show this off here right? ?

20180725_070835.thumb.jpg.b248f8aebc170d8dc060fa35e4770b98.jpg

It's my home build CNC router. With a 120x120cm cut area (if I put an extra desk in front of it)

It's called LimpyCNC due the fact that it has 1 guide rail on the left side, while the right side only has a belt and rides on top of the table. So it's a-symmetrical. It uses 2 belts on both sides for accurate positioning. As well as a belt trough the X axis. All GT2. Because, as you would expect from me, I'm using quite a few Ultimaker parts. Discarded parts for various reasons.

The X/Y motors are Ultimaker 2 feeder motors. With our normal pulleys on them, the Z motor is a UM2 Z motor, but shorter. The electronics are UM2 electronics (with broken heater output)

The spindle mount, belt idles on the right side, and the Z nut mount are 3D printed. The plywood parts are lasercut.

With all the "free" parts, I've only spend around 500 euros on this machine.

I'm still tinkering with it, the Z stage has some flex in the Y direction, causing backlash effects. Just installed a fix for that, but haven't done a new cut with it yet.

Firmware is 100% custom, based on Marlin's motion planner, and the UM2 display code. But nothing else, doing a lot from scratch here.

• Like 1

With the Z stage, just add an extruder/nozzle and your back to 3d printer lol :D. Very interesting I've been wanting to build my on CNC but my wife dont want me to touch the side table in the kitchen.

Clever name, quite catchy.....sounds like a pirate, parts were taken by pirate LimpyCNC from UM haha

Posted · LimpyCNC
    11 hours ago, Dim3nsioneer said:

How many years did it take you to finish it? I think to remember you worked on this since quite some time ago...

Actually, started on this design less then a year ago, sketching it out. I have drawings for like 3 other machines as well, that I never build. Actually started ordering parts 2 months ago.

I always had an interest in making my own CNC router. And I did help out with the large one in FabLab Amersfoort: http://fablabamersfoort.nl/nl/boek/portaalfrees so maybe you are confused with that one?

7 hours ago, jffry7 said:

With the Z stage, just add an extruder/nozzle and your back to 3d printer lol :D. Very interesting I've been wanting to build my on CNC but my wife dont want me to touch the side table in the kitchen.

Clever name, quite catchy.....sounds like a pirate, parts were taken by pirate LimpyCNC from UM haha

I don't think the frame is accurate and fast enough for good 3D printing. And the Z movement is only like ~40mm. So not that good for 3D printing.

Well, when we bought the house, we agreed that I have control over the garage. Which means, I have a corner in the garage that I have control over :-) still space is precious, which is where the design came from.

And now, i'm discovering, shocker, CAM (aka slicing for CNC routing) software is shitty.