Octoprint problems with Cura 3.4+

DavidEl

Posted · Octoprint problems with Cura 3.4+

I've used Cura 3.0 through 3.3 reliably with Octoprint, but since moving to 3.4 and 3.4.1, it has worked less well. The most common problem I see is that after the first job I have sent to the printer the next one will not starts. Either the Print With Octoprint button does nothing, or it tells me there is a job in progress and offers to queue the next one. The last time this happened, I noticed that on the Monitor tab in Cura, the job was shown as only 34% complete when it was fully done. So I wonder if there is a problem in Cura querying state from Octoprint. Clicking Abort Print did not fix this, but clicking Pause then Resume set the state to complete.

I don't know if there is an existing bug for this, or how I should report it. I'm happy to look for logs etc if it helps.

My set up is Cura 3.4/3.4.1 on Windows 10, talking to Octoprint 1.3.8 on a Raspberry Pi over a local network, and the Pi then communicates over USB to an Azteeg Smoothieboard clone.

Posted (edited) · Octoprint problems with Cura 3.4+

I use Octopi 0.3.1 with Octoprint 1.3.8 and haven't noticed that yet.  So far it has been working just fine for me.  I see Octoprint 1.3.9 was released 3 days ago but I haven't upgraded to that yet but I plan to.

I am not sure if I leave the Monitor screen up though all the time as I am usually flipping back to the Prepare screen to get ready for the next print.

Edited by Adam324

Next time if this happens, please check if restarting Cura works to get the state right. If it doesn’t, that means OctoPrint is still telling Cura it is not ready.

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted (edited) · Octoprint problems with Cura 3.4+

Sorry for the delay in following up. Restarting Cura does not reliably connect to Octoprint. It seems to be a lottery about when and whether it will work.

[Edit] I've noticed that sometimes if I wait a while (minutes) it will eventually connect. In addition, once it has connected, it will sometimes say "Sending data to Octoprint" but show now progress until I click cancel and try again.

One more thing: sometimes after a print, the Octoprint web interface claims the print has finished, but Cura thinks it has not, and so does not allow another print to start. All this implies to me that the comment in the previous post (Octoprint is still telling Cura it is not ready) sound like it is the case.

Edited by DavidEl

Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread, but for the record, I suspect the problem was with the OctoPrint instance. I did a fresh install and on a small number of test prints have not seen a problem. It may be that one of plugins I use in OctoPrint was the cause - I've not yet reinstalled all of them.

• Thanks 1