Ultimaker Software Modifications

AndyD

Posted · Ultimaker Software Modifications

Hello everyone!

I am making modifications in an Ultimaker 2+ in order to build a 3D Bioprinter. I need to remove completely the heated platform but when I do it, I get error messages. Also, I have to change the height of the printing platform since when I switch on the Ultimaker my extruder (it's modified and longer) hits the platform. This is happening before the calibration of the printing platform. I was thinking that I have to make some small changes in the software of the Ultimaker but I couldn't find the software. What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Andi 

The firmware for the "plus" model is a bit different, the repository is this one:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/UM2.1-Firmware

The most important file is "Configuration.h"

From what i read, you want to change the definition of "Z_MAX_POS", and disable the heated buildplate by setting TEMP_SENSOR_BED  to zero

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

Hi @tinkergnome

I changed the software successfully! Thank you a lot!

I have a couple of questions. I am trying to change the steps per unit of the extruder 

DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {80.0,80.0,200,282}

However, even if I change the 282 to 0.282, I can not see any difference. Do you know why?

Also, I tried to disable the heater-thermistor by set the TEMP_SENSOR_1 equal to 0. 

However, the heater warms according to the custom material even if in the gcode I do not set the temperature of the extruder's heater.

Do you know if I can disable the heater of the extruder?

Thank you in advance!  

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Software Modifications

The steps/unit are stored in EEPROM and can be changed with gcode M92 (the new value can be stored with M500 afterwards). The default value is only used after a factory reset.

Edit: Link to RepRap gcodes: https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M92:_Set_axis_steps_per_unit

5 hours ago, AndyD said:

Also, I tried to disable the heater-thermistor by set the TEMP_SENSOR_1 equal to 0. 

However, the heater warms according to the custom material even if in the gcode I do not set the temperature of the extruder's heater.

I think, the first nozzle uses TEMP_SENSOR_0, but i'm not sure, if Marlin works at all without any temperature sensors.

The second sentence sounds like you are using UltiGCode (GCode flavor "Ultimaker" in Cura)?

If you select GCode-flavor "Marlin" in the machine settings, you can set all temperatures in Cura (even to zero, if you like).

Edited by tinkergnome
    • Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker Software Modifications

Thanks @tinkergnome ! The steps are now fixed.

I disabled the retraction using the command M209 S0 & changing the advanced setting in ultimaker (length & speed of retraction equal to zero) but I did not manage to disable the pre-printing (filament purge before starting the printing). I changed the machine settings by deleting the commands at the beginning and the end of the program. Then I upgraded the firmware through cura and afterwards, I installed the Marlin. However, I did not see any difference.

Do you know why this is happening?

Thanks a lot for your help! 

Edited by AndyD

You should probably not delete all commands from the start script, if the GCode-flvor is "Marlin".

Some of them are still needed and it is possible, that Cura uses just the default script, if yours is empty... (not sure)

Anyway: with GCode-flavor "Marlin" the printer simply processes the commands of the gcode file, if there are moves, that you don't want - check the generated gcode file.

If you clear the start gcode script in Machine Settings, Cura will NOT default to a sane start script. It will just NOT use and start gcode, with the exception of a preheating sequence that is always added if Cura does not see you adding your own preheating in the start gcode script. So there will be no homing, no leveling, nothing.

There currently is no easy way to restore the default start gcode snippet once you have modified it. Some day I will get round to adding a "revert" control.

I upgraded the ultimaker software with the default machine settings (start and end code with Marlin G code flavour) and then I installed the Marlin.

I did the same with the exception that I reduced the purging and retraction by 90%. 

However, I did not notice any difference.

The gcode is generated by me since I want to build something simple.

From the Ultimaker, I need the x-y-z movement and the extrusion. Not the other features (heating etc).

This is my g code

M302
    M92 E210
    G21
    G90
    M82
    G28
    M82
    M209 S0
    G92 E0
    G0 F9000 X150.000 Y102.000 Z0.15