shurik

What ABS to buy?

Posted · What ABS to buy?

I'm running out of black ABS and need to re-stock.

What are your recommendations for best quality ABS available in Europe?

I mainly print parts of prosthetic hands for children and such, so it must be durable and to look good - top quality, in short.

Thanks,

Alexander

Well, the amount of the replies is overwhelming... ?

Is it something in the post?

Posted (edited) · What ABS to buy?

Never printed ABS, but I think with the UM ABS spools you are good to go. 

I have also good results with UM CPE or Colorfabb XT, both not ABS, but maybe an alternative to ABS if it fits your needs.

But when you have good results with your current ABS, I would buy it again and not try another brand.

Edited by Smithy

I would suggest ABS Filament from RS.

I think they sell rebranded Filaments from Dutch Filaments.... Dutch Filaments in return supply Ultimaker as well i guess.... but maybe thats wrong.

However: RS also sell so called M-ABS.... again from Dutch Filaments it's easy to print and more easy to get strong Parts out of, I would prefer it over standard ABS.... but its around in only a few translucent colours

Unsure if this company distributes in Europe, but I've been using IC3D's ABS for some time now and it is top notch. I've also taken a tour of their facility (it's close to home) and their Q.C. is on point!

I've printed with a few different ABS filaments and by far the best would have to be the Ultimaker brand. It's the easiest to work with, very little warping on 100C glass with glue stick, good layer adhesion even without wrapping the printer to keep heat in. Obviously it's a bit pricey, but worth it for the ease of use, imo. I also bought some Gizmodorks brand but haven't had a chance to use it, which was a bit better price wise.

The cheapest and most "meh" ABS I've used was AmazonBasics brand. It warped very badly even with keeping the build volume as hot as possible. The only way to help lessen warping was using a UM adhesion sheet. I was able to use it for some longer prints, but was definitely more of a headache to get prints to come out well.