Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Well finally and failure....finally tried a second time to plate this oversize model i made and printed, but as soon as i took the last photo my hand slipped knocked into the model and smashed it onto the floor damaging the plate....oh well. its a sign i think, to let it go. I have another one anyway so im not that bothered. the solution was shot, im lucky it coated at alll! This is my re-imagination of a friends request to make his painting into a 3D version.

IMG_1468.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1481.JPG

IMG_1485.JPG

Gigeresque.png

• Like 1

Ya' know, the breaking part may make it look like really old, cracked metal. I know it was not the effect you went for, but it may be a nice stand alone thing that you can move it into a different direction for that piece only.

This does not obviate the need to do a clean one though :)

Looks good though! And, the slipping and breaking may just be a happy accident that leads to a different, unique look :)

My problem is that is might chip off as its a poor coat due to the solution. Im not too concerned, but i hate damaging things by being cac handed.

You n' me both. But I do prefer to salvage things as well. Sometimes, it is not the intent, but it is a way to not have completley wasted all that time, effort and everything.

But, yeah, I hate that too with my own clumsiness. :)

1 minute ago, cloakfiend said:

I find the more careful i am the more likely things will go wrong. 

BWAH-hahahahahahahaha

I know!! Ain't that the truth?

I find if I do not 'think' many times when doing things like that, I work better on autopilot. You should have seen how many artboards I sliced to smithereens while learning to cut only the frisket and not the board. I did get to where it would only slice the film and not the paper coating, but wow.....took a while, and then I had to stop and just go zen on it when doing it.

...and the polished pics...as its a gift i cant be bothered doing all the little bits, ive probably done more than expected anyway.

IMG_1497.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1491.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cloakfiend said:

and a before and after for a nice comparison!

20180806_200506.jpg

That is a very good comparison. Superior to other plating jobs I have seen.

• Like 1

if we bump into each other again ill take you through it! join the alchemists circle. cloakfiend's  ultimate smoothing circle! 😎 haha

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cloakfiend said:

if we bump into each other again ill take you through it! join the alchemists circle. cloakfiend's  ultimate smoothing circle! 😎 haha

Actually, I would love that as it would open up new doors of exploration for me :)