Cura-3.4.1.ImageApp registration on Ubuntu 16.04

GiuseppeScollo

Posted · Cura-3.4.1.ImageApp registration on Ubuntu 16.04

Hello, I just installed the app as per subject.The Cura manual, under First Use says:

After installation you can open Ultimaker Cura for the first time. Simply open Ultimaker Cura from your applications or programs folder.

However, the app does not show up in the Ubuntu Dash list of apps. Its icon does temporarily show among the others in the Launcher (the desktop left column), where I may try to  block it in the Launcher and to add to the Dash, but neither of these actions is effective. I installed the app under /usr/local/bin, so the only way I got to launch it is from a terminal, by command line: /usr/local/bin/Cura-3.4.1.ImageApp

If the App desktop registration files were available, I could try to fix this myself, but the AppImage is a binary executable, so I don't know where to find those files. Here is an example of an app desktop file (for the VisUAL ARM emulator, under /usr/share/applications), VisUAL.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=VisUAL
Comment=A highly visual ARM Emulator for Education
Exec=/usr/local/bin/visual/VisUAL.sh
Icon=/usr/local/bin/visual/icon.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Utility;Application;Development;

So, as you may see, I could easily make a similar one if only I knew where to find the app icon. Could someone please help? Thank you very much, in advance.

Posted · Cura-3.4.1.ImageApp registration on Ubuntu 16.04

SOLVED! I found a 22x22-pixel .png icon under /tmp, moved it under /usr/local/bin/cura, where I moved the AppImage as well, and then edited and placed the following Cura.desktop file under /usr/share/applications :

[Desktop Entry]
    Version=3.4.1
    Name=Cura
    Comment=Ultimaker Cura 3.4 High-Performance 3D printing software
    Exec=/usr/local/bin/cura/Cura-3.4.1.AppImage
    Icon=/usr/local/bin/cura/qt-cura-icon.png
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Utility;Application;Development;

Now the icon gets blocked in the Launcher and shows up in the Dash. I just regret I couldn't find a higher resolution icon.