Wanted: great ideas! (YouMagine)

ErikDeBruijn

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Wanted: great ideas! (YouMagine)

another little point... when i fill out the description page and and continue.. the button for pictures is above the button for files.. why ?

I mean people are going onto this side firstly to add STL files or gcode or what ever... photos and renderings are a second thing.

so I found myself automatically clicking the top picture button first.. then going.. UPPPSSS. and then going down the the files.

Should this not be swapped ?

Ian :-)

when i clicked download on some of my thingiverse files.. the window would just change to a crazy mix of code on the screen.. nothing usable.. other files downloaded normally.

doesnt really matter now. iv just started uploading my 3d model collection on youmagine now :smile:

https://www.youmagine.com/users/ian

Ian

Ian you're such a spammer, hehe :p

Could you explain a bit how exactly your STL were corrupted by thingiverse?

Very nice site! here goes my 2 cents:

• Merge the experiences of looking for objects <-> generating/sharing ideas <-> solving ideas. So I suggest using only one type "Design/idea" that can have different Status (open, in development, prototype, finished...), Description, Instructions (for building), inspiration/ancestors (references to other designs and also text in bullet points, external links if you dare!), Suggested improvements/solutions (so that anyone can add and collaborators also edit them), files, Comments.
    • When pressing "Add new design" if you were already viewing a design suggest to add it as an ancestor.
    • Add privacy options. This has nothing to do with Mr. Bowden (or was it Snowden? :p ). Trust is very important. You should get only the minimum information and delete it if asked to do so.
      • Add Ability to hide from the designers list. So that your published designs show your name but your profile is not accessible.
      • Ability to DELETE THE ACCOUNT, including all personal information. Again, the designs will still be there (as they are CC or GPL) giving you the credit but your profile will not.

[*]Add Terms and conditions. I know It's a work in progress... and please don't get yourselves an unrestricted license of our objects.

[*]About the sketching program, make sure you keep openSCAD import/export available.

[*]When adding documents to the design, add a reminder suggesting to use a file version that is the most backwards compatible as possible. For instance, instead of uploading a Solidworks 2013 file, the designer could save in Solidowrks 2010 format if no newer features are used. This makes the creations more accessible!

[*]Add an "Ask to print me one" button to each design page. This expands the community to the majority of the people without 3D printers! "Client" would input geographic position of deilvery (country, state/province, city), deadline, suggested $$, and extra comments such as printer technology needed, material, resolution, colors, etc. Only the users who opted-in as "providers", have the corresponding printer capabilities and are close to the client will get a message so that they can contact the client. Clients should be able to see the number of registered providers in their city, state/province and country, so that if there is no one in their city they could ask offer more money to people further away from them.

In the new design page:

• Add design subcategories such as (for 3Dprinter parts and upgrades): printer, feeder, extruder, axis alignment, filament holder, hot bed, fan shroud, tools, other. Add a community-based way of changing the categories/tags of current designs, such as voting for changes.
    • suggest tags (per category) so that if you select "3Dprinter parts and upgrades" you would see some buttons showing the most common tags, such as: Ultimaker, Ultimaker 2, Prusa, etc.
    • Add a link to the definition of the different licenses next to the selection box.

Any news about how to make an actual project from ideas?

By now there is one thing (the open source autonomous vacuuming robot) that should be taken to the next step asap!

But discussing solutions and stuff in the comments section (still without formatting possibilities ;) ) isn't efficient.

So, how is this meant to work?

I've noticed that you can add "possible solutions". But for that, I'd have to make a design with my solution and link it. Now, if someone else wants to collaborate, we're stuck again because only I would have write permissions on this design...

And then, imho, it would just cramp up the "designs" database if I made a separate design for the bot's electronics.

So, what now?

Hi Jonny,

I'm interested in taking it further and I'm refining ideas based on what people have suggested and have been talking about. Also, the first vacuuming idea (apart from being interesting and challenging) serves as a good test case to improve the collaboration features. It involves different distinct skills and it's a bigger project than most individuals have time to do by themselves.

One of the possible solutions is the creation of 'design teams'. I'd like to allow people to add team members to a design that you initially made (could be a stub), you can give them roles (e.g. EE guru, Mechanical wizard :), coordinator, sponsor (?), etc. ). This seems like functionality that can be built reasonably fast, although I should try to get a good estimate. Being part of the team means you can 'edit at will'.

Proposing edits should also be possible, so you can make an edit that needs to be confirmed by the owner or a team-member. If the contribution is good or at least interesting, a 'drive-by contributor' can easily be invited onto the team by one of the members.

What do you think?!

--

Erik

P.s. @PabloBell, @Chopmeister, @Ian and others... I've noted down your excellent suggestions as well and I'm trying to get them into the development pipeline the best I can.

Hi Erik,

great suggestions! Let's go for it! To have a design team with different roles is a very good idea. Also to have a confirmation procedure seems reasonable to me. As our vacuuming idea might get a complex project I believe structuring will become essential. Maybe it might be necessary also to implement sub-task-forces; small project teams who efficiently can work and communicate on a certain subject. I think efficient and structured communication will be one of the success factors.

Greetings,

Ion

Yes! This sounds great!

And don't forget some function where one can apply to contribute!

You can't add people to a design team unless they tell you that they want to join ;)

I am thinking about the other end of the complexity scale. I want a redesigned print carriage that has the option to take away the Bowden tube and put the filament feeder right above the nozzle. I know it will print much slower in order not to break the printer, but it will allow to print very soft materials such as FilaFlex.

The project can be completed by a single person in less than a week. But the thing is I don't have the time to do it. And there are other people willing to design something looking for ideas. So I should be able post the idea easily (without a very complex setup), upload some sketches and tell the designers with spare time. For the latter, the idea could be posted together with other designs in the "3D printer parts and upgrades" (and could be filtered out), or each category could have a subcategory simply called "ideas" or "related ideas". When browising a design, a list of pending ideas in the same category and/or realated tags could be shown on the side. And finally, every designer could opt in on the categories she/he wants to be told when a new idea is uploaded (posting the first design in a category could ask if you want to monitor that category for new ideas).

Tempting the designers is another matter. They could earn a star for completing/assisting the idea of another designer, and only one per other designer, so that you earn fame if you asist different people, and not the same people over and over.

The status of the idea could be changed from Open to Assigned with a deadline, so that other designers don't do the same work. Or there could be a record showing the different teams currently attempting the idea with an estimated deadline. The finished idea (now design) could have credits by type: Original Idea, design, prototype testing, materials contribution, financial support.

The original idea may create more than one design (if many independent teams finish it), so I think it's better to keep ideas and designs as separate entities and link them as needed.

I think it would also be nice if we can add 'open' positions in a team, or skills the team is looking for. How would we showcase this? Anyone interested in doing a little mock up or fake screenshot?

Check out this Google+ post about lots of improvements to YouMagine!

Front page search:

1.%20Front-page-Search.png

More intuitive tagging:

2.%20More%20intuitive%20tagging%20with%20suggestions.png

• A "Surprise me" button!

4.%20Did%20you%20try%20the%20surprise%20me%20feature%20yet.png

• Multi-line comments:

3.%20Multi-line-comments.png

• No more double e-mails when placing a comment.

• And an awesome automatically resizing top menu bar! (check it out online!)

Nice! Thanks for improving the comments formatting, that was so annoying *thumbs up*

my thoughts,

i wont migrate from thingiverse because i just have to many things there.

i have to use paralell accounts.

Youmagines upload process should be simplified.. best would be one page with all buttons on it.

i like to have more categories or sub-categories though.

For me the overall webdesign has too many colours and too many small elements. its wild.

maybe some designed layoutlines to guide the eye could help.

youmagine (many other websites do this too..)

only use about half of the available space on a Macbookpro laptop screen (15).

is this realy intended?

i think its a bit waste of screenspace.. and i hope its not only because of more and more mobile browsers.

Deviantart.com is a good example of nice content versus whitespace dispersion on screen.

"Ultishaper" should come standalone and offline.

I never use online-editors if i dont realy have to. same goes for all designers i know.

I hate how slow most web apps run.

Plus i like to have my incremental saves on my own discs.

great start, i want to be here. But I find it hard to use beyond random browsing.

These features have eluded me if they exist, they would make me more productive if they did exist, if they do exist make a help page or something.

1. let me follow designers, so I know when they add new things.

2. let me see a list of designs i have starred. (or let me bookmark or collect designs for future refrence).

3. the mail icon number does not appear to be a counter of unread mail since it never changes. i would prefer it to reset to zero once I have read all my mail, not be a running total like it is now.

4. share the logic on image uploads, i can't figure out how to make images that will not get bungled up..what's happening is it being cropped based on a aspect ratio, or size or what?

As I mentioned in another topic reg. postings on Thingiverse or youmagine, to organize things you like, or collect them for later print, or remember them, is one of the main issues I´m currently not using youmagine.

Maybe there is a way to implement such organizational feature in future...

Thanks for all the feedback! Those who have given us feedback a while ago may have already seen many of their feedback implemented, so YouMagine is improving all the time!

More social features like peetersm mentions are indeed desirable. Also we will work on as many bugs and features you're mentioning... but be patient... there's a limit to how much we can process at a time.

One of the bigger things we've worked a lot on the first featured that is all about collaboration!

You can now contribute pictures to a design that is made by someone else. The pictures will show up under "Printed by". You can also discuss the print result. The original designer can also decide to give your picture a more prominent place at the design page. It will then become part of the carousel (viewer).

Also, it's now much easier to migrate/copy content from other sites. You can drag and drop the images right from Thingiverse over to YouMagine. Make sure to maximize the view on the Thingiverse so you're copying the high-quality version instead of downsized preview images. Also, you can provide design files by URL. So right click on the file on Thingiverse, click "Copy URL to clipboard" and paste it in the YouMagine window to directly add that file to your design.

Also, we're working on a cool 3D viewer... so stay tuned for info when we launch an updated version of YouMagine!

Again, thanks for all the feedback!

I posted two designs on the site, but the images are terrible,

it doesn't show the complete image, and lots is cut off.

I tried to make the images smaller, with the same awful result.

https://www.youmagin...tv-remote-stand

what does it take to make the images complete and good res ?

no matter what size I make them, a lot gets cut off, and you can't click to see the full size image :???:

the first were 20cmX20cm and a lot was cut off,

second I made them 10X10cm and on the site the are enlarged to fit, and still have the same cut of all around (and massively grainy)

Just reporting that the new 3d view has somehow introduced a bunch of errors to the site. I get WebGL errors popping up all the time, and when I want to go anywhere from any page I encounter a pop-up which says: Navigation: false, Do you want to leave this page?"

I'm using Chrome on Win8.1.

Great to see you're working on YM!

Just tried the new 3D vew with Xeno's huge (82MB) STL. It lagged like crazy and now even after I've closed YM the browser hangs and lags every 5 seconds.

You might want to improve performance on that :)

@JonnyBischof: do you have a link to this specific design? Obviously a 82 MB file is challenging to display like this, but we can at least increase the transfer speed by a factor of 20 to 30 by sending the mesh compressed and decompressing client-side. We may have to limit the amount of triangles we display to get better performance.

Just reporting that the new 3d view has somehow introduced a bunch of errors to the site. I get WebGL errors popping up all the time, and when I want to go anywhere from any page I encounter a pop-up which says: Navigation: false, Do you want to leave this page?"

I'm using Chrome on Win8.1.

Hi Chopmeister,

The popup problem is solved now. It had to do with a weird mix of a hosting performance measurement tool combined with a powerful but now framework suitably (and coincidentally) called Polymer.js.

I would like to know a bit more about the WebGL problems you're getting... We definitely don't want that! :shock:

Can you be a bit more specific. I think that a screenshot would be helpful in telling us exactly which error. Also tell us when it's triggered, if possible.

@JonnyBischof: do you have a link to this specific design? Obviously a 82 MB file is challenging to display like this, but we can at least increase the transfer speed by a factor of 20 to 30 by sending the mesh compressed and decompressing client-side. We may have to limit the amount of triangles we display to get better performance.

I was referring to Xeno's AppleTV remote stand:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/apple-tv-remote-stand#!design-documents

I guess he exported that with LOTS of polygons ^^

Hi Erik,

Whatever the problems were, I can't seem to find them now, but I'm on a different machine currently (although it's also Win8.1+Chrome). Will try tomorrow on the other one and let you know if they're still there.

As for the 3d viewer. It looks awesome. I really like the colors and shading! But there is a slight problem if you use the mouse wheel to zoom - the page also scrolls at the same time...

Also, please, please, please disable the auto rotate by default. :)

EDIT:

2oXo4oWl.jpg

I get the above all the time. But I only see them on my laptop, not on my desktop PC, which is funny since they both have the same version of Win8.1 and Chrome.

1s1q4RXl.jpg

This happens when I look at a more complex model. I can't interact with it at all and the page freezes.