Wanted: great ideas! (YouMagine)

ErikDeBruijn

Posted · Wanted: great ideas! (YouMagine)

Just a couple that spring to mind...

1) attachments to comments in the ideas section. The idea being that I can leave a comment with a picture or stl of what I'm talking about.

2) RSS feeds on just about everything. Also 'follow' optiins on designers, designs, ideas, categories etc.

3) Thingiverse import?

4) Link to other site's design? The idea being to make YM the authoritative site for all designs anyone ever made, even if they were done for some other reason

5) button to turn off the animated render gadget - sometimes the still picture is more useful. Ideally I'd be able to select a 'north', 'south', 'east' or 'west' view in the still pictures too.

Just a thought - it's already a good site, which I'm sure will become great in the future :-)

• Replies 123
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having used the new 3D view for some time, I also have to say that I preferred the automatically generated still previews. You should consider making a separate tab for the 3D views, instead of including it in the pictures section...

• 3 weeks later...

I think YouMagine is really a good place to share ideas and designs (unfortunately I haven't already shared anything because I thought it's only for 3D-printing and I don't have a printer for now)!

This brings me to an other point which maybe would be great!

What about if you have some ideas but you don't know how to fix it? I mean something like instructables, ideas step by step explained by the builder or the pro's!

The parts could be downloaded for the 3d-printer and a pdf for the instructions and the BOM!

What would you like

• 3 weeks later...

There is something broken with the Edit Profile page - first, you have to enter your password confirmation every time or it rejects your changes (bad feature... unintentional?) and then second, after you try to update your page once without re-entering your password confirmation, the next time you try, youmagine automatically logs you out and, once again, your profile edits aren't changed.

Buggy.

There desperately need to be more categories for uploaded designs. The current (very short) list does a poor job of capturing all types of things people might upload to the site.

Another bug:

When tagging designs, it is frequently impossible to add a new tag when (alphanumerically) similar tags are being suggested. Example: I can't tag a design with "Photography" because the window auto-changes it to "Astrophotography".

Edit: It seems to have corrected itself somewhat, and if I add Astrophotography to my object as a tag first, it then no longer suggests that tag while I can add others. Still, buggy...

The ability to add links as text in design descriptions without busting out HTML would be a big usability improvement.

Also, following people is how? You guys should fast-track hiring that Ruby developer so that we can start getting a more full-featured platform. Partner with 3D Hubs and get yourself a cut of the commission, so you can have a path to profitability that isn't ads, and actually fund the development of a competent Thingiverse killer...

On both, my office and home pc I'm not able to select the different views of the object in IE. No idea why, with firefox it's working but that's not an option at least in office (damn restrictions).

Nevertheless, currently I think that the usability of youmagine is far behind thingiverse. collecting and manage collections is a must from my point of view.

I would really like to see it becomming the killer platform mentioned by nick...

Love to see an option to add design files from ealier designs to new designs that build on andor extend on an earlier design.

Example, I have made a generic design for a 3D dovetail shape (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dovetail) and I'm using that in 2 other designs (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dovetail-wall-connector & https://www.youmagine.com/designs/dovetail-spool-holder). Instead of having to add a link myself in the Information tab I would like to have it listed in the Documents tab, linking to the exact same file (document) as in the original design so that when I update it it is also automatically update for the other designs.

The fact that I'm able to put in a link under the Information tab shows me it should not be to hard to implement, well the biggest problem will probably be the GUI part.

Sharing and collaborating, nice words!

Please enable PayPal donations to the designers!

This would surely encourage people to share high quality models and motivate them to continue to do so.

There are at least five designs in my mind where I'd be willing to make a donation because I really like them!

Of course, I also write this as a designer hoping to receive donations in the future...

Youmagine has the worst tagging and search facilities I've seen in years. It is stunningly difficult to find items that are related to, for example, the Ultimaker 2.

Why on earth don't you implement the (free to use) Google search extension for the site, so people could find what they are looking for?

Youmagine has the worst tagging and search facilities I've seen in years. It is stunningly difficult to find items that are related to, for example, the Ultimaker 2.

Why on earth don't you implement the (free to use) Google search extension for the site, so people could find what they are looking for?

The same goes for this forum... :wacko:

@NickFoley and others:

• The "Edit profile" bug is filed, we'll look into that.
    • There will be sub-categories at some point. We'll ask for input for them as soon as we're ready for that.
    • There will be markdown formatting in all fields except for the abstract. After that I'd like to make this a choice. If you want to use HTML, you just need to select that formatting style. For now, it will be markdown, which is very plain-text readable. It's not perfect, but bbcode's aren't great for this more structured kind of documentation.
    • @hiring: you're right! @partnering with 3DHubs: we had some preliminary talks with them... we think that could work our well for both of us!
    • With the coming releases, collecting is up first, and then following users...

@Dirkels: I see why you want this, but it's not easy to implement it without making things less clear. You can use the description and links inside it for creating references to other designs or files.

@donations: could work, and I'm definitely open to that. I also like it much more than micro payments for designs. However, we've had suggestions of Flattr and PayPal. In both cases a user needs an account, but we could surely display such as button. We could also put them behind a more neutral "Donate" button.

@EldRick: Search will be upgraded a lot in a few weeks. Google is a good suggestion, but we may have something even better planned and which will have more filtering/sorting capabilities and a more website-native feel to it. But first the release we've been working on for the last months...

Regarding Flattr. I got a grand total of two donations through that button on thingiverse when I had a design featured and on the top of "Most popular" for a few weeks...

I've never heard of "Flattr". Please use PayPal, because many people have a PayPal account. I would never open an account anywhere just in order to make a donation...

I have a problem:

I made a design and uploaded it as a "preview" version. When it was complete, I deleted the "preview" files and uploaded the final design. But the pictures didn't get renewed, so now my design has no pictures... :(

Is that a scripting problem?

I've also noticed that this "empty" design now randomly appears and disappears from my youmagine signature. o.O

@ Flattr: I agree... Flattr is only nice for those who have a Flattr account. So perhaps it should only be visible if you input your own Flattr in your profile?

@ JonnyBischof: This seems like a caching related thing. Can you send me a link to this design. As an admin I'll be able to see this design.

-> https://www.youmagine.com/designs/e3dv5-printhead-for-ultimaker-original-3mm-bowden-version

At the moment, there's a "placeholder" picture. It sometimes disappears, reappears, who knows what it does.. :p

Right now, in my signature, I see a blank space (second from the left). The placeholder pic also showed up there before. But it keeps changing...

@donations:

I'd prefer the solution where you just make a neutral "donate" button (close to the Download button ;)), and when you click on that one, you can see all the donation possibilities the designer accepts. I don't know if there's any more than PayPal and Flattr, but these two will probably suffice anyways.

I don't know if this has already came up before, read through the threads and didn't seem to find it. So here goes....

From a visual aspect there is one thing I find horribly irritating whenever I use YM. And that's the "Show more" button.

It's placement is completely illogical for two reasons:

1. It is placed above the actual content it relates to, which is nonsense from a user experience standpoint. Logically, a user would be interested in seeing more of something after he's seen what there is to see in the originally offered content.

2. If for some unknown reason it has to be so, at least sort out the distances, or somehow visually connect it to the content it relates to. See attached image - the distances clearly suggest that the button relates to the upper content, while in reality it is the exact opposite.

NLhJPH7l.jpg

While on the subject of graphical layout, why is my username truncated to three characters? While this is reminiscent of a certain character from the Mentalist, I'd like to see my full username displayed instead. There is room enough. :) Probably something that happened in the recent updates, IIRC it was working before. o.O

And I've noticed that when using chrome on my Nexus 5, the resizing upper menu doesn't really work, except when completely zoomed out, at which point all the buttons are much too small. When you zoom in, it automatically realigns to the left side of the screen and doesn't pan left-right with the rest of the page, thus disabling me from clicking anything when zoomed in.

All that aside, I'm really glad you guys started doing more frequent updates to the site, and to see more models getting uploaded every day. Also great idea with the new licence and all!

Just remember to never, ever, ever add a "Customizer" or similar horror to YM and all will be just fine. :)

Hmmm. My signature stays empty.... anyone? I guess I'm too stupid for it too...

The first time someone told me about youmagine, I thought he said humagine. And I still think youmagine sounds really similar to humagine.

I don't seem to be able to create a proper bill of materials, all linefeeds seem to be removed.

This (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/low-friction-um2-spoolholder-endcap#!design-materials):

The endcap:
    - 608_endcap
    Parts from Low friction UM2 spoolholder by IRobertI (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/low-friction-um2-spoolholder'>https://www.youmagine.com/designs/low-friction-um2-spoolholder):
    - 608_core1
    - 608_core2
    - 608_mount
    - 608_nut
    - 608_spacer (-2mm)
    Parts from hardwarestore e.g. Praxis.nl:
    - 1x m8 100mm bolt (Censys laagbolkopschroef)
    - 4x washers
    - 2x 608 bearings

Becomes:

The endcap: - 608_endcap Parts from Low friction UM2 spoolholder by IRobertI (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/low-friction-um2-spoolholder): - 608_core1 - 608_core2 - 608_mount - 608_nut - 608_spacer (-2mm) Parts from hardwarestore e.g. Praxis.nl: - 1x m8 100mm bolt (Censys laagbolkopschroef) - 4x washers - 2x 608 bearings

Though it still is stored with linebreaks/feeds.