Forest of Doom

cloakfiend

Posted · Forest of Doom

I think this is it. I have not tried it but one time and it was not good for my super wacky fractal stuff. But give it a shot on something simple to test it. I am guessing a bit here as I have not tested it since I went to scaffolds for more traditional models to print.

SupportSettings.jpg.354ebb1e56c97f0edf07b40d4c95e4c7.jpg

Posted (edited) · Forest of Doom

I know nothing else will fail, so its just the hand to fix! This is the real reason why I got an Ultimaker! I dont even think a resin print would be much better. I haven't put in enough detail to warrant a resin print, This one should be perfect, I can even see the tear i made on his arm. I have bought new copper, new acid copper solution and new conductive inks. Yet, I still feel i've missed something, Oh well. I'm going to print another version of this when I get home on the UM2 as I have something else for the S5....

....just need to make sure I mix the copper plating solution properly this time, and not go down the cooking path.

Just a note comparing print times, I found this quite interesting. A print on the S5 with no support @30mm/s is pretty much exactly the same as a print on the UM2 @20mm/s with support. So surface smoothness will be pretty much identical as @20mm/s on the UMS is almost the same as 30mm/s on the S5, maybe a little better, but it does have stepper lines unlike the S5, however these are easily removed and I really dont mind them compared to layer lines, which are no good to me.

Edited by cloakfiend

Posted · Forest of Doom

45mins of this nightshift to go dammit, I want to just leave now. This is my last nightshift for a while, but I got a wedding after which is annoying, I had so much wanted to finish off a whole load of things but annoyingly people get married. I already wasted 4 days in Bratislava getting smashed for a stag do, now the wedding. Another 4 damn days? what happened to one day weddings, pop down the registry office and then drinks?. Jeeze, some people are so demanding. i'm only going for three days as a protest, I need to finish this guy today so the acetone can evaporate properly overnight, will plate him tomorrow! The benefit if you brush on acetone, is that you don't need to worry about shrinkage as much as when you dip it! or dont need to worry about it taking so long to harden. You can generally turn things around a lot quicker!

Posted · Forest of Doom

@cloakfiend regarding the support interface:

If you enable support in Cura and continue to use Extruder 1 for support but only change 'Support interface extruder' to Extruder 2 you will see the following area to be printed with PVA (purple)

example1.thumb.png.e48c33702c6c6ab9b419485586449bf8.pngexample2.thumb.png.14952a27a4f817997a6b6a8979a19dfc.pngexample3.thumb.png.09f83fe15eadbc6bfcd8be2e9377bff0.png

• Thanks 1

Posted · Forest of Doom

Well here is the warhammer shapeshifter....took me like 10 minutes to get him out! I got a little impatient but didnt want to break anything else!

20180815_100721.jpg

20180815_100831.jpg

• Like 1

Posted · Forest of Doom
    4 hours ago, SandervG said:

Your excitement is contagious ?

giphy.gif 

???

Posted · Forest of Doom

Didnt have time to finish this dude today gotta go to a wedding. Long journey means ill have time to finish few jobs off!

Acetoned him today though still needs a bit of cleanup from all that support but at least his hands back on.

20180816_235135.jpg

• Like 3

Posted · Forest of Doom

Sweet!! Have a good trip! ?

Look forward to seeing this when you get it done. Excellent modeling!

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

Posted · Forest of Doom

Amazing! Hopefully I'll also be able to produce something halfway close to such models one day

• Thanks 1

Posted · Forest of Doom

Hi Guys,

An outstanding thread!

Thank you.

Regards

Torgeir.

Posted · Forest of Doom

Gonna try to finish this beasty off this week too....has some issues with his teeth (being a bit too small to print with a 0.4 nozzle), but whatever, ill just sand them down carefully before i plate him. Should look sweet regardless, Ill do another bigger one another time.

Posted · Forest of Doom

I do look forward to seeing this :)

Ok, my nightshifts have been quite demanding lately, but I managed to squeeze in a quick spray primer just to see what the surface looks like after the intial clean up. my airbrush was a bit clogged as im a bit lazy and dont clean it out enough, but looks good to me! some phone pics......

20180828_193554.jpg

20180828_193612.jpg

20180828_193622.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend
    • Like 2

Posted · Forest of Doom

That looks awesome! For some reason, the paint really brings out the sculpt to me. I bet the plating will be amazing!

• Like 1

Posted · Forest of Doom

It better be! lol. Well we'll find out soon! Its my last nightshift today so gonna finish this one off tomorrow or the day after. Printing Unicron v2 as we speak. That should be done by the time i'm home, yay! a tiny 18Hr print.

Posted · Forest of Doom

This one is gonna be a fail....sucks, but i need to modify the model before i print it again anyways. Have far too many issues with my paint at the moment and the solution is a bit too contaminated as well. I may try to patch fix it, but there are spots on it that have refused to plate. not conductive enough and all my wires have come loose. The problem with plating is that there are so many things that can go wrong for you if you do it casually at home in your kitchen!

ill post pics either way, the cape is not working but you may not see it from the front anyway!.

Posted · Forest of Doom

Just a suggestion, if it does not work...paint it? I have no idea what the plating will look like, but it did look good painted.

Just saying...when art takes a turn on you, negotiate the new path into something different. ? It is an awesome sculpt.

My answer is usually....PATINA!! YAY hides all the problems and makes them look cool! 

Paint may also have to be the answer as i can't sand or polish it now because the unplated areas edges will rip up and might tear more plating off so i need to be more careful around them, A few of my techniques I need to perfect, and certain conditions are real issue. Im going to be painting my new prints, this is going to be the last plate for a while. I want to experiment with car style high gloss finishes. I've seen duplicolur even has a copper effect spray, but the base needs to be polished metal as its a transparent paint! 

I've decided Red Gloss is going to be my next finish. Lol. I wanted to paint UnicronV2 in red, but defaulted to a plate. 

While I prepare to remove my lizard out of his blue bath, I thought I'd entertain you with a bit of DYK? (did you know?)

DKY I kept snapping off one spike on this model so I got my dremmel and filed a nail down to roughy the same size drilled a small hole in the old spot and replaced I it as I have found that once something breaks either replace it with something that is far stronger or it will simply keep breaking again and again further down the line! funnily enough I also just remembered that I forgot to glue it in! Oh bummer, oh well. it was a real tight for so should be fine. My lizard is now a secret weapon!

20180915_180720.jpg

Edited by cloakfiend
    • Like 1

Posted · Forest of Doom

Here you go.. loads of unfinished bits but luckily most in cavities and stuff but some bad ones here and there too. Will take more phots later, off to sleeps now. Night!

20180916_021353.jpg

• Like 1

Posted · Forest of Doom
    1 hour ago, cloakfiend said:

I've seen duplicolur even has a copper effect spray, but the base needs to be polished metal as its a transparent paint!

Not so Mon Ami: I use those paints.

What you do is lay down a base such as a nice Chrome (I use Krylon Oringinal Chrome) or their own base coat which is an aluminum based paint.

Link to full range of things to look at:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000994BU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

The thing to start with is the "Base Coat or Ground Coat. The product is labeled Base Coat, but I have seen it referred to as Ground Coat as well. That link has all their color choices. It is what I used for these projects:

Krylon on the fork, Duplicolor elsewhere and acrylic brushed onto the crust.

Duplicolor on the body and base with acrylics washed over to enhance shadows and cut down on that 'new look'.

And here as well.

And pretty much all of these in this post.

I have learned how to work wet on wet and such and then wash with acrylics. It is a versatile system.

Posted · Forest of Doom

ahh yes i meant metallic rather than metal, my bad, i need to look into those paints, but with lighting we can pretend its perfect! lol.

tried to be as creepy as poss...

AM3A7770.JPG

AM3A7741.JPG

AM3A7749.JPG

AM3A7759.JPG

AM3A7775.JPG

• Like 1