Forest of Doom

cloakfiend

Posted (edited) · Forest of Doom

I've just done some reading on why my plating is failing and have found out that I have been using the wrong kind of water for my last few plating efforts!!!

I knew something was up, everything was just taking WAAAAAY to long and not thick enough plates either.

So.....remember DISTILLED water, NOT de-ionised! My local chemist was closed when I bought my water last minute and I just ended up buying car battery de-ionised water. 10L (two full batches) and basically wasted my time and money, my plates from now on will be faster and cleaner! this stuff turns my copper dark blue and green, which it never did before! They say now days new processes remove most unwanted minerals and impurities, but not in my experience! Will be steering clear of deionised water thats for sure!

I'm surprised I got anything plated at all now!!!

Edited by cloakfiend
  • Like 1

Posted · Forest of Doom

Just an idea concerning painting instead of plating. Here in Antwerp every summer we see "living statues": people mimicking bronze or stone statues. Often they are students from art schools. The most impressive are usually the dark bronze ones with copper green oxydation, as they look the most realistic.

Sometimes the only way to distinguish the fake statues from the real ones is by counting. If you know there are four real bronze figures in a scene, and one day suddenly there are five, then one of them has to be a fake.  :-)

Or sometimes the living statues can be recognised because they have lined their hats and clothes with a thin gold line as finishing touch. So they are even more beautiful than the real bronze ones.

Maybe this is something you could try too, instead of plating and chemically aging? It might be equally beautiful but with much less hassle and chemicals?

Posted · Forest of Doom

Plating is real easy once you know how, the only snag is setup, after that its done!. Ive been too casual as of late. The other main issue is the damn thing wanting to float. But filler fixes that problem. I was looking into other nice fixes like titanium cages and such but thats a different hassle and you dont want your model touching anything while it plates. Ive yet to experiment with different patina colours as i have some awesome translucent metal inks as well! Ill use them on my unicron and let you know. They are fake patinas....vintaj patina inks. Looks promising i have all the colours already, just procratinating on when im going to use them as usual.