Under extrusion after every layer change

quack3d

Posted · Under extrusion after every layer change
9 hours ago, burtoogle said:

Alternatively, set a smallish value for max comb distance with no retract (i.e. 10 or 20).

10mm seems to work in my first try 😃

8 hours ago, kulfuerst said:

underextrusion after a travel move is a different problem

Yes, I know. My problem was on every layer change and disabling or limiting combing option fixes it.

• 2 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

One problem I understand is that the amount of time combing and not extruding towards the end of the layer takes the melted plastic out of the nozzle/ reduces nozzle pressure for the beginning of the next layer. Some fixes for that may be to turn off combing, maybe play with setting a low (around 10) minimum extrusion distance window, or try to get your printer to print a more efficient path. For me, having "fill gaps between walls" on was causing a lot of redundant travel for a negligent amount f added infill. 

This link may be informative, it's the opposite problem though: https://mattshub.com/blog/2017/07/19/layer-seams

I had a similar problem: underextrusion on the outer wall beginning on the z seam.

It was caused by a too tight extruder spring screw. 

Hope this help someone on the future. 

• Thanks 1

Did you read this thread/topic from the start - at page 1?  There are several possibilities that cause the problem (I think 3 solutions are discussed above?) and I *think* everyone fixed their problem.  But I'm not certain.  My first thought was the same as ultiarjan (who I think was the first person to reply).

i have tried a few things that I saw here like

-min. wallflow to 30%

-outer for inner wall

-combing disabled

-compensate walloverlape

it helped a little bit but its still noticeable

i will try now the extra prime amount set to 1,5 mm3 and retract at layer change so Cura will use extra prime time at the start of the layer right?  

On 6/23/2021 at 7:32 AM, Somnium said:

will try now the extra prime amount set to 1,5 mm3 and retract at layer change

Yikes!  If you had retract on layer change turned on then that is definitely the problem!  That was the very first answer above.  I had a profile (a less used profile, from ultimaker - they fixed it after a few years) with that turned on and got the same thing as shown in the picture back on page 1.

If you mean it already is disabled then definitely don't turn it on.  Maybe you should include a photo of your issue.  Many people say "I have the exact same thing" but when I see a picture I realize it looks similar but is completely different.

Posted (edited) · Under extrusion after every layer change

Ah ok then i got something wrong in the previous posts then i will turn it off and see if this was the cause thx 🙏🏼

F3B27880-CC26-4D62-B728-17AA2F68BA24.jpeg
    dont know why its upside down but you can see the issue on the left side at the visor 

91D5EE06-B433-48E0-A68C-6AA12D21722C.jpeg

Edited by Somnium

Did you save the project file for that print?

Please print something much smaller - maybe a 20 minute print that does this.  Please save the project file for every print you do until this is figured out.  Then when you have both a photo of the problem and also the exact project file for that print then please post the photo and the project file together so we can look at all of your settings (over 500 settings) and it will include your printer (machine) settings as well and your model (sometimes it's related to the model).

To save the project file go to menu "file" "save project...". 

Anytime I slice anything I always save the project file - I use project files for the reason that other people use profiles.  I don't use profiles.

• Like 1

sorry for not replying I was very busy and on top of that my printer is out of order due to a firmware bug. but I will print a small piece of the arm to see if the issue is still there and will save the project files so you guys can check on it! thank you all for the tips. I hope I can post something soon.

I found this issue still to be present, even in Cura 4.13.

Switching off 'Compensate wall overlap' indeed fixed the underextrusion, by turning it into overextrusion. Using this setting  on a small test print with 0.4 mm thick walls resulted in more than 50% higher filament consumption (from 0.9 m to 1.43 m) and much thicker walls with an ugly surface. 

What I was observing is that the print head moves clockwise to print the wall and ends up at the starting point. Instead of moving up a layer and start printing the next layer from there, it moved counterclockwise, back over the just printed perimeter and then moved up to the next layer. During this move back over the already printed perimeter, probably some material was pulled out of the print head, causing the underextrusion at the start of a new perimeter.

Switching to 5.0.0 with the new Arachne engine fixed it. It didn't move back over the just printed wall, but continued to print the next layer from where the previous layer ended. This also reduced print time quite considerably (26 to 17 minutes).

Sometimes less (movements) is more.